1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Could also be that the trousers have been through the wash a few times and the jacket hasn't (especially if he's in the habit of wearing them separately).

1 person likes this.
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

It could be, but it seems slightly less likely to me than the other answer. Also, I assume a man like Franzo Grande Stevens has all his clothes handwashed by virgin maidens wearing cashmere gloves.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Assuming this is correct (and there's a fair argument that it is), I'm equal parts confused by and envious of his give-no-fucks attitude towards wearing them together.

I know the concept of "sprezz" or curmudgeon dishevelment is often lauded (and particularly in the elite eye-talian circles), but this really is a seemingly unprecedented moment of "can't be bothered." It's easier to pull off because it's a casual fabric meant to be worn casually, but given his means and interest, you'd think he'd just as soon have another pair of pants commissioned.

Unless this is all on purpose and he spent time/effort to make the look disharmonious. At which point fuck him.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Saying some rich old dude has the money to buy nice clothes, but doesn't necessarily care about how he dresses doesn't seem that unusual.

Here's some other pic of him, when he's not wearing a business suit:

[​IMG]

In any case, I really want a corduroy suit now in this color:

[​IMG]

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Yeah I understand that and honestly the majority of bespoke customers I know don't dress that well. But still, that's a rather apparent issue.

I guess he could wear them together so infrequently that he's never noticed or cared to notice, but it's still a bit weird to think he wouldn't try to make that right or at the very least have a second pair commissioned while he wears his currents. Then again, I dare not think too much about what goes through the minds of aristocratic Europeans.

And I agree, were I ever to get a cord suit (which even for a misguided-trad, preppy bastard like myself is a long shot) it would be in that color.

6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I think there is a good chance that the pants have simply been cleaned more often that the jacket. This will happen with any cotton suit, not just corduroy. Good Sales Associates and tailors have been helpful to remind me to send both the pants and the jacket out for cleaning at the same time or risk having different shades top and bottom.

7. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I vote for the washing since the pants look a little more worn and washed, particularly at the seams.

1 person likes this.
  8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Yeah, getting pants made by a different tailor than the jacket is extremely rare, even for the bespoke set. Wearing a corduroy suit as separates (for those that own cord suits, anyway) is extremely common.

9. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I think what dieworkwear was referring to was the common practice of tailors sending out the pants to another tailor who specializes in trousers to complete them. Ambrosi was known in Naples for doing the pants for many well know suit tailors, as an example.

But yes, wearing corduroy jackets and pants as separates must be one of the most common separately worn suit fabric options. I'm guilty.

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

That moment when your shoes start squeaking. I know it now

:fu:

Left shoe when I step...wow this is annoying. A pair of Meermin shoes FWIW and never any issues before.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I've never had a pair of shoes "develop" a squeak. Only squeak from the get-go (very beginning).

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Same here. Usually small squeaking settles, or in odd cases for me has been an ill attached heel or heel stiffener...

13. patrickBOOTH

Allegedly some shoes develop a squeak when the shank breaks.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

You know, you're right.

I remember a pair of Ferragamos i had developed a squeaking, it was due to the steel shank becoming unglued and moving around. Do Meermin use steel shanks?

15. patrickBOOTH

I have no idea what they use, but things that put pressure on the arch area of the shoe, (like stepping up on a curb, where the curb digs into the arch area) with snap plastic ones and cause a squeak. During a resole a cable can fix the issue. On the other hand sometimes they have an unknown origin. I had a pair of G&G's that always had a squeak and even resoling did nothing to help the problem. It was incredibly annoying.

16. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

I've been plagued with a squeaky shoe before. I took it to a cobbler and this is what he found under the heel:

[​IMG]

17. patrickBOOTH

18. John Doe

It's a joke. A doggy squeaky toy in the shape of a shoe.:facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

How the fuck do you expect everybody to know that? I ain't no dog fucker.

20. John Doe

Freudian slip? :eek: Ain't nobody talkin' bout dog fuckin'.

1 person likes this.