MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this is bizarre...

2. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

D'oh, thanks, should have been able to figure that one out.

It sounds like a win-win, chirizo, and the green sport coat.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

how could i hate on doc? i loves him.

give it a month...

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

who said, i hate on him. i just don't want to read his posts... each to his own. fair?

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

certainly fair, i just dont know why you wouldnt like his posts?

6. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Bizarre that I haven't a clue about Ethiopian food? Or bizarrely written and worded?

I'll agree with the second. For a (mostly) native English speaker, I'm really bad at it.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

hmmh, wouldn't like? not exactly. there's been nothing of interest over the time for me, so i deceided to drop them.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i was kidding a bit, at least, but you found it. great. carry on.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

My random thought of the day is Seersucker. With unrelenting heatwave after heatwave I have been unable to enjoy my seersucker suit and jackets until now. I will be wearing them prominently until the leaves fall off the trees, rules or no rules.

10. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

My random thought of the day is that a black button down may be the most utterly useless shirt of all time. Saw someone wearing one the other day. Black isn't a classic color for shirting, and yet the places one might wear one are probably not places a button down collar fits stylistically.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

My random thought of the day is that it appears everyone seems to categorize black, grey, and white as a color. Which It's not, as it is simply a shade, used to define contrast. But the incorrect terminology is validated by the fact that even manufacturers and retail stores say it this way as well.

As an artist, It's would bother me, like someone referring to open closed shoes as oxfords. But I have learned to leave it be, as it is not of any fault of the people reiterating it.

12. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

I get what you mean, but consider this: would it bother you more if someone said black was a color and misused the terminology, or if someone did the affected thing and asked what shade they should get a suit made in? Personally, i take error over affectation any day.

French is my first language, and I'll still say valet with a T, and say accoutrements and pronounce the T and the S. I study literature and I don't say proust in a french accent and pharyngealize the R. My girlfriend is an artist too, and she loses it when I want to buy a tube of green paint or something.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I'm sure you're correct, that It's the lesser of two evils. In a perfect world, your tailor would ask you, "What color suit do you have in mind?". You would simply answer, "I'm thinking of something in a shade of grey. Or maybe a blue colored fabric."

Doing my part to share my expertise, as I have learned plenty on this forum...

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Guy I work with (who does a lot of new business pitches and therefore is one of the few people in my office to wear a tie most everyday) seems to wear the exact same tie/shirt combo, without fail. I asked him this morning and he told me that he had 15 end-on-end, semi-spread pale blue shirts made by WW Chan when he lived in Tokyo. He also bought 10 of the same maroon and blue Ferragamo ties (they are a quite conservative neat pattern). These are the only formal shirts and ties that he owns and he wears the same exact combination with either medium or charcoal grey pants 3-4 days a week. Not sure if the pants are bespoke or not.

The definition (more or less) of style is a personal take on a uniform. However, since everything is literally the exact same day in and day out, is this style or just laziness?

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I vote laziness in that case. At least you can have a different tie. Or if you're only going to have one tie, solid is better than the same pattern day after day.