• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MBA Jobs in Luxury Goods Industry

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I am curious to see if anyone knows any info. on this subject. It isn't necessarily a field I am planning on going in to but I have noticed there doesn't seem to be much info. on it that I can find.

I know that the likes of LVMH (Louis Vuitton/Moet Hennessy) interview at Harvard grad. Are opportunites most likely limited to marketing positions? Have you guys heard of other firms such as Gucci or Prada Group and the like seeking MBAs from any top tier American universities? Anything about average entrance salaries? etc....

Never hurts to learn.

laugh.gif

Englandmj7

Reaction score

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What are "luxury-goods clubs"?

I suppose it is a university club like any other (ex. "Travel Club," "Investment Club") whereby like-minded students organize speakers, and establish networks/contacts in the luxury goods industry and the like.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
We have that, it's called Styleforum.

My sentiments exactly.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1112_mz056.htm
I thought that luxury goods had high margins and lived-or-died by their marketing: why would the pay for management be so low? Never mind Ford's idea of paying your workers enough to afford your products? Or the supposed model of off-shore sweatshops and on-shore overpaid CEOs? Sounds like a hell of a dysfunctional industry.
confused.gif

tundrafour

Reaction score
I don't know how I would derive any sort of personal satisfaction from working for Louis Vuitton or the like, to say nothing of the salary. Seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a guess, a lot of their Marketing work would be done outside the company, via consultants, trendspotters etc with significant industry experience. As such, the inhouse stuff could be very banal.

All the same, I'd probably go corporate counsel for Gucci or Hermes if I had the chance...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ LabelKing you have to be more responsible, you almost made me puke on my desk. We need a vomiting smiley...

The car is kinda cool though. I'd love to use it a demolition derby
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I am curious to see if anyone knows any info. on this subject. It isn't necessarily a field I am planning on going in to but I have noticed there doesn't seem to be much info. on it that I can find.

I know that the likes of LVMH (Louis Vuitton/Moet Hennessy) interview at Harvard grad. Are opportunites most likely limited to marketing positions? Have you guys heard of other firms such as Gucci or Prada Group and the like seeking MBAs from any top tier American universities? Anything about average entrance salaries? etc....

Never hurts to learn.

laugh.gif

I'm curious what positions you're talking about. Maybe this is on the topic.

I went to a job fair for 24/7 (like Monster.com for the fashion industry). Many companies were there - Ecko, Ralph Lauren, Macys, Calvin Klein, Liz Claiborne, Peerless, blah blah blah. The lines were out the door for Ralph, Enyce, Ecko and all of the big name places. You could walk right up to companies like Peerless (who owns lots of companies) but would wait literally a couple of hours to talk to someone at Ralph Lauren.

What people don't realize is that companies with big famous names pay crap. Everyone wants to work there and they know that and take advantage of it. I know several people that have designed for Ralph Lauren and they said it was terrible. Low pay and terrible work conditions. Same with companies like Macys, Bloomingdales, Saks. Not saying all positions pay poorly but you can find better positions with lesser known companies (Peerless for example, JCPenney...) and make out better.

Also, the real money these days isn't in design or buying. It's in production. You'll make much more $ in production and logistics than you ever will designing or buying. Unless you become a famous designer.

Finally, as the article says, in retail / wholesale - degrees don't matter as much as experience.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'm curious what positions you're talking about. Maybe this is on the topic.

I went to a job fair for 24/7 (like Monster.com for the fashion industry). Many companies were there - Ecko, Ralph Lauren, Macys, Calvin Klein, Liz Claiborne, Peerless, blah blah blah. The lines were out the door for Ralph, Enyce, Ecko and all of the big name places. You could walk right up to companies like Peerless (who owns lots of companies) but would wait literally a couple of hours to talk to someone at Ralph Lauren.

What people don't realize is that companies with big famous names pay crap. Everyone wants to work there and they know that and take advantage of it. I know several people that have designed for Ralph Lauren and they said it was terrible. Low pay and terrible work conditions. Same with companies like Macys, Bloomingdales, Saks. Not saying all positions pay poorly but you can find better positions with lesser known companies (Peerless for example, JCPenney...) and make out better.

Also, the real money these days isn't in design or buying. It's in production. You'll make much more $ in production and logistics than you ever will designing or buying. Unless you become a famous designer.

Finally, as the article says, in retail / wholesale - degrees don't matter as much as experience.

Interesting. I was referring to positions in upper management/marketing most likely. It seems from what I have found, and as you say, that the bigger companies don't pay well. I think, however, that people are drawn to them because of the glamour, international involvement, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads