• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mazda RX-8

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
The doors are absolutely perfect for a child seat, in addition it had a pretty decent amount of headroom in the back, given the size and make up of the car.

Urrgghhh .... and I was pretty-much set on getting a super-charged Mini Cooper S at the end of the year. Now I am thinking an RX-8 might be more 'sensible' after the kiddo is born.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Urrgghhh .... and I was pretty-much set on getting a super-charged Mini Cooper S at the end of the year. Now I am thinking an RX-8 might be more 'sensible' after the kiddo is born.

RX-8 is better looking. Also believe it has more powerful? Can't say for sure though. 200/240 depending on what model.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Only last year did the car come out with a modern shiftable automatic transmission, and mated its bigger engine to it. That bigger engine used to be available only on the manual.

The engine is the same as the original that came out in 1979. What changed was the ignition timing and the whole injection system. Small internal revisions were made to help the oil slosh around better, which solved a lot of the low oil/blown engine problem. The car is your dependable friend if you baby it, which sports-car lovers never do. So the car is an ideal first sports car for someone who simply never would let an engine get anywhere near orange, much less red line.

The car burns oil because it is oil cooled, not water cooled. By all means keep the oil topped off.

You have to almost floor a rotary to get going. You get used to driving that way. That problem was only partly solved by having the turbo going all the time. But that also lowers the mileage.

I never kept up with the Mazdaspeed series, but the RX8 would of course be its finest product if you could get one.

xpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
So the car is an ideal first sports car for someone who simply never would let an engine get anywhere near orange, much less red line.

Actually, many Mazda mechanics recommend a 'Redline a day to keep the technician away"

This car begs to be revved, and many issues with the car revolve around the third set of injectors not opening properly, which is due to people not reaching the 7500'ish RPM 'switch on point'.

Ignore my lack of technical terms, and drive it hard...
I do!

Staver

Reaction score
I own a 2006 Mazda RX-8, bought it new and have been enjoying it since. I fell in love with it purley off the looks - theres not a car out there that has that kind of shape and design for the price they are going for now. I have had absolulty no problems with my car since purchase - it does suck gas, but hey, you know that going into the purchase. The back seats are big enough for a normal person to sit comfortably in, and the whole car is put together nicely. I have driven it across the country with no problems whatsoever.

The car handels like a dream, and although it doesn't have the pick-up like other cars in that price range, it is fast enough for any normal driver. Manual is a MUST, you can downshift at any moment and have enough power to get out of any situation.

One thing to mention - the stock tires are garbage for snow. If you are going to be driving in any region where snow is present on the ground (any snow, even a small blanket), winter tires are a NECESSITY.

I love my car and never regretted buying it. I still get looks and compliments everywhere I go.

~ Just my 2 cents.

Vistro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Only last year did the car come out with a modern shiftable automatic transmission, and mated its bigger engine to it. That bigger engine used to be available only on the manual.

Incorrect. The engine is the same size and displacement. The automatic transmission on the older models was not reliable enough to support the full engine output. The engine was de-tuned to compensate. Why you'd buy an automatic with this kind of car is another debate.

Mazda rather publicly

The engine is the same as the original that came out in 1979. What changed was the ignition timing and the whole injection system. Small internal revisions were made to help the oil slosh around better, which solved a lot of the low oil/blown engine problem. The car is your dependable friend if you baby it, which sports-car lovers never do. So the car is an ideal first sports car for someone who simply never would let an engine get anywhere near orange, much less red line.
Also incorrect. Comparing the RX8's engine to the first-generation RX7 engine is like saying the Chevy LS-series engines are the same as a small block chevy found in a '77 Monte Carlo. The engine was a new design based on Mazda's experience with the earlier iterations of the rotary engine. The intake tract is completely different than past street rotary engines. If you don't take this engine at or near redline, you will miss out on nearly anything that is good about the design.

The car burns oil because it is oil cooled, not water cooled. By all means keep the oil topped off.
Not exactly true. Rotary engines inject oil to lubricate the sealing surfaces of the housings and rotors. The engine is primarily water-cooled. The oil should definitely be kept full and checked regularly (as with any car really).

You have to almost floor a rotary to get going. You get used to driving that way. That problem was only partly solved by having the turbo going all the time. But that also lowers the mileage.

I never kept up with the Mazdaspeed series, but the RX8 would of course be its finest product if you could get one.
Fuel mileage is not great under any circumstances and there will be some oil consumption, both due to the engine's design. The RX8 is not turbocharged from the factory.

bkk

Reaction score
Had to downgrade to one of these from a 330i. Daily I pine for the Bimmer. Sure, the RX-8 is the best RWD you can get for <$15k, but I'm not exactly the happiest driver in this car. Some negative comments:

1. The factory tires are awful. After about 40k miles, I was slipping through every turn on a damp road. ~$1k later I have some nice shoes that actually grip.
2. Plastic all over, and cheap plastic to boot. Lots of rattles and noises all over the place. And the cheap chrome look in the lights is a joke.
3. Gas mileage is a joke. EPA estimates are way off, even when I'm at 75 on cruise control on I-95 for hours.
4. Torque? Is there such a thing as negative torque? You need to rev to 5k or 6k just to get it moving. I don't want to rev to 9k to move. I want to get going as soon as I press the gas pedal.
5. Options are meager, at least on the '04. Simple things like RDS are out of the question.
6. It does eat through oil. Seems like the amount burnt between vehicles varies based on internet and personal conjecture.

Some good comments:

1. Best sports car you can buy on the cheap.
2. Great in corners.
3. Decent storage room for what equates to a 2-seater.
4. No need for expensive Inspection I/II like some German counterparts.

Just 2 cents from someone who actually owns the car.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW

Get the Mini, it will be less of a problematic car, plus the warranty (nee-BMW) is top notch. If I was going to get a new car, the Cooper S would be at the top of my list.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember it's a Rotary engine so it's designed to consume oil to lubricate the seals, this is not a design error. The Rotary also means it's not good on gas. However, the engines are not as durable and suck in the winter compared to your standard piston engines. I can't count the "My apex seals blew at 35K" threads on RX-8 club. Watch Top Gear's review of this car, they bash the 350Z and tell you to get the RX-8 instead. It is a great car when it works. Here you go --

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Get the Mini, it will be less of a problematic car, plus the warranty (nee-BMW) is top notch. If I was going to get a new car, the Cooper S would be at the top of my list.

Yeh, it's still top of the list (though I'll be looking for an older model - supercharged, not turbo). I am just concerned about managing the baby seat in the back and all that.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mazda manteince is a bit expensive

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mini is not maintenance free. In fact, quite the opposite.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics