• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mayweather vs. Ortiz (post fight)

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Legally, no. In all other senses of the word, yes.

I'm really done even watching Floyd anymore. He would have won that fight in decisive fashion had he continued last night and done for more to burnish his standing with the media, fans, and the boxing community. Instead, he used a moment of confusion by an opponent and poor officiating to "KO" his opponent (something he hasn't done, mind you, since 1999).

That's a problem for boxing. When your supposedly best P2P boxer would rather throw a questionable punch than actually display his craft and beat an opponent fairly and decisively, which is what Floyd would have done had he continued fighting.

As someone else said, millions of MMA fighters were made last night.

Floyd was already displaying his craft as he was beating Ortiz for all 4 rounds. You have your emotions backing you, I have punch stats to back my word up.

If you were really a boxing fan, you would know that the demographic that watches Boxing and UFC are two completely different groups. They actually did a study and only about 10% of the people who watch the sports watch Boxing AND UFC. Boxing will be relevant as long as there are Hispanics in America.

We have p4p fighters fighting soon, and you're sitting here crying. Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins, Nonito Donaire, Andre Ward, and Juan Manuel Marquez all fight soon. Your tears aren't going to glue back together Ortiz glass chin.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still and always will be a fan of boxing because it isn't just a brawling sport. It's very much a craft which the MMA, regardless of what their fans say, is not.

Boxing is much closer to a contest of sheer barbarism than MMA is.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"It was kind of cool, kind of controversial, to some. I fouled Floyd. I apologized. I was looking at Joe Cortez, and boom! I guess it's time for bed! But the bottom line? It was fun....I did my crying in the locker room. I was crying like a baby. The tears were left in the drain...Tomorrow is another day, like Scarlett O'Hara says...My opinion is that it wasn't a fair fight... I made some mistakes tonight, and I apologize to the public...I paid for the mistake..."

Sucka...

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you were really a boxing fan, you would know that the demographic that watches Boxing and UFC are two completely different groups. They actually did a study and only about 10% of the people who watch the sports watch Boxing AND UFC. Boxing will be relevant as long as there are Hispanics in America.

Any idea what study this was? Just among people I know and the people I see at my gym, it seems very heavily split on racial demographics also. Black and hispanic guys love boxing, while white guys are gungho for MMA.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it's only fair to mention that the sheer violence of MMA is what attracts a large portion of its fans. People love to see blood and contact, which is why MMA thrives. I appreciate the old school nature and science of boxing much more than I could appreciate MMA, even when I'm disappointed by fights like this.

I still and always will be a fan of boxing because it isn't just a brawling sport. It's very much a craft which the MMA, regardless of what their fans say, is not.

With that said, I think there are plenty of fight fans that are moving towards MMA, not because they want to see blood but because the quality and organization of the show is just flat out better. As much as I dislike Dana White, at least he gets people to fight and makes them (for the most part) deliver the goods. This type of bullshit is only acceptable in boxing because the sport has been left in the hands of promoters and the athletes themselves with little though to the fans.

I'll probably never "switch" to MMA just because I'm not a fan of the sport, but I'm certainly watching less and less boxing and haven't ordered a PPV fight in what feels like ages.

this is a really special kind of ignorance. enjoy watching boxing guys. don't think twice about what happens in mma.

I must be part of the 10% that are fans of both, though I was much more successful at MMA than I ever was at boxing. As someone who has competed in both, I can say that boxing is like a marathon, and MMA is like a triathlon. Most MMA fighters would get beaten at a straight up boxing match, with very few exceptions. On the other hand, any boxer without any MMA training would get beat to a pulp in round one. The skillset needed to be a good MMA fighter is very complex. As well having a good understanding of kickboxing, wrestling, and jiujitsu, MMA fighters have to learn to transition well between the three.

It's true that most MMA fans are pretty ignorant. However, the same goes for boxing fans, from what I've seen, though the extent of their ignorance may be different.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Floyd was already displaying his craft as he was beating Ortiz for all 4 rounds. You have your emotions backing you, I have punch stats to back my word up.

We have p4p fighters fighting soon, and you're sitting here crying. Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins, Nonito Donaire, Andre Ward, and Juan Manuel Marquez all fight soon. Your tears aren't going to glue back together Ortiz glass chin.

Please be assured that I didn't read even a word of this response, which I'm sure was filled with the usual TyCoon bullshit.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A really good fighter with a fighters heart takes any advantage to wreck his opponent no matter what. If you don't do that you will lose and lose badly. No one is out there to take it easy on you.
Ortiz fucked up. He bitched up and got KTFO. When you break your guard goes up. You don't look at anyone else but your opponent. If you don't you can get knocked out. With adrenaline , ego, and competitiveness fueling these high caliber fights, a fighter at that level can't drop his guard ,period.

Get into the ring and try MMA or Boxing out. Hell, play judo, wrestling , or BBJ if you don't enjoy getting hit. I can assure you unless your are a gutless ***** you won't try to lose and will get upset when you do. The stress of making weight and dieting aren't easy. These fighters train and train and train for a HUGE hyped event. If you except them to stay cool while in the ring your blind as ****, I mean stevie wonder can see better than that.
It's the people who don't understand fighting that make these situations bigger than they really are. It's like the arm chair football player who gets pissed at a player for hitting another player when that's their job.

Bunch of ******* pussies. Quit crying. The fights done and checks have been cashed.

As for MMA vs Boxing , I like both. Boxing is an important part of MMA but it is only a component. MMA might look more violent but boxing produces more deaths and life threatening injury than MMA, fact.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please be assured that I didn't read even a word of this response, which I'm sure was filled with the usual TyCoon bullshit.
You don't even know any boxers outside of Mayweather. It's obvious by how you think his actions alone are enough to make boxing fans go towards UFC when we have loads of talent fighting soon.

clown

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any idea what study this was? Just among people I know and the people I see at my gym, it seems very heavily split on racial demographics also. Black and hispanic guys love boxing, while white guys are gungho for MMA.

I've read it about a year ago. I'll try to find it for you.

That's how I see it too from my own personal observations. Minorities, blue collar folk, and inner city people are the groups boxing caters to people. Then white boys out in the suburbs are UFC crazy. I think it's because boxing hasn't had dominant white Americans for a long time, people like to watch people like them do well in sporting competitions.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^or maybe boxing still offers hope to the minority it's supported by. The pay outs in boxing are so much better than MMA. It will change in about 10 years.
If you think about the people that train MMA a lot are college educated. That's not the case with Boxing.
If you have been to a boxing gym, you box , you get hit, it hurts. You have to spar to get better.
Go a gym that teaches MMA. In most cases the gym offers BBJ, Wrestling, and striking. The people that want to fight, fight. However you can pick other disciplines if fighting isn't for you and you don't have to spar in the same manner as boxing.
I know A LOT of world class grapplers that just don't like getting hit.Instead they grapple and are amazing at their sport however thy aren't getting hit and it's their choice. You don't have that in boxing.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^or maybe boxing still offers hope to the minority it's supported by. The pay outs in boxing are so much better than MMA. It will change in about 10 years.
If you think about the people that train MMA a lot are college educated. That's not the case with Boxing.
If you have been to a boxing gym, you box , you get hit, it hurts. You have to spar to get better.
Go a gym that teaches MMA. In most cases the gym offers BBJ, Wrestling, and striking. The people that want to fight, fight. However you can pick other disciplines if fighting isn't for you and you don't have to spar in the same manner as boxing.
I know A LOT of world class grapplers that just don't like getting hit.Instead they grapple and are amazing at their sport however thy aren't getting hit and it's their choice. You don't have that in boxing.

^thats actually a great point, but thats where MMA is at a bit of disadvantage now, because there's almost too much to study/train for.... it actually even takes savvy fans to follow it (just like boxing).

I like to think that comparing Boxing to MMA is like comparing skiing to snowboarding... they still take an equal amount of effort to enjoy and learn... but seem to create an exquisite antagonism to each other's practitioners..... even when there's room for both...

its still superstar driven sports though..... we want to see superstars beat the **** out each other... wether it be with boxing gloves or in the octogon...

personally i think boxing is just a better vehicle to deliver bloodlust to large crowds. you can feel the electric boxing crowds literally willing a boxer to kill an opponent... you can feel the racism/nationalism/hatred/bloodlust/death-wishes in boxing crowds. I'm sure its present in MMA fight crowds as well... but it just feels more potent in boxing crowds.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^thats actually a great point, but thats where MMA is at a bit of disadvantage now, because there's almost too much to study/train for.... it actually even takes savvy fans to follow it (just like boxing).

I like to think that comparing Boxing to MMA is like comparing skiing to snowboarding... they still take an equal amount of effort to enjoy and learn... but seem to create an exquisite antagonism to each other's practitioners..... even when there's room for both...

its still superstar driven sports though..... we want to see superstars beat the **** out each other... wether it be with boxing gloves or in the octogon...

personally i think boxing is just a better vehicle to deliver bloodlust to large crowds. you can feel the electric boxing crowds literally willing a boxer to kill an opponent... you can feel the racism/nationalism/hatred/bloodlust/death-wishes in boxing crowds. I'm sure its present in MMA fight crowds as well... but it just feels more potent in boxing crowds.

MMA crowds are a little more friendly, as are MMA gyms, actually. I think that it's because, despite the egos, you have to train in a variety of disciplines, and most guys have their niche, and can accept that other guys are better at other aspects of the sport. I do feel that the casual MMA fan seems to have less respect for the fighters than do boxing fans, and I think that that is due to ignorance. I have grappled with some of the top guys in the game (in practice, and they were really doing me a favor and showing me stuff) and let me tell you, being under Dan Henderson is no joke. That guy is strong like an ox. He could probably hold me down with one hand, real talk. I was on the bottom, in half guard, had the underhook, and could not even turn my body sideways to initiate the escape. But I hear guys who have never trained a day in their lives talking trash all the time. I never hear boxing fans say stuff like that.

I also don't see nearly as much antagonism from MMA fans towards boxing fans as I do the other way around.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I imagine MMA would be much more expensive to train for because there are many things to study for.

Boxing is very affordable, so it's popular among those who live the "hard life".

It depends. If you are a decent prospect, you usually get reduced rates in return for services like teaching beginner classes. MMA training for the general public is much more expensive than is boxing though, yes, and there are "executive BJJ" classes, which cost a ton load, and are really there for general strength and conditioning. Those classes actually have little "open mat" time, and are often much more focused on technique and light sparring, because it's a ego crusher to go in for six months, and not getting a single submission, and getting crushed over and over again until you have some proficiency.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads