1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mayweather vs. Ortiz (post fight)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by junior varsity, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Ortiz is no-where near PDF. It's a fight! Hands up and STFU..

2. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Boxing fans say this, but you look around and there are fewer and fewer of them. The quality of the sport is lacking, big matchups are few and far between and one of the two key players in the game right now is (wether you agree with it or not) labelled as a guy who is ducking fights and uninterested in giving boxing fans anything resembling a good fight.

Boxing fans (and I'm one of them) can stick their head in the sand and stick to the "If you don't like it, leave" line, but the reality is that a lot of people actually don't like it and have left. And that's why boxing is dying. Fights like yesterday's fight do nothing good for the sport, period.

Say whatever you will about how PBF's only responsibility is to himself but I laugh at anyone who actually pays to watch this guy fight. He doesn't give two shits about boxing or his "fans". If he could collect a 30 mil payday by pissing on the front row at the MGM, he probably would.

3. suited

suited Senior member

I think it's only fair to mention that the sheer violence of MMA is what attracts a large portion of its fans. People love to see blood and contact, which is why MMA thrives. I appreciate the old school nature and science of boxing much more than I could appreciate MMA, even when I'm disappointed by fights like this.

4. Lord-Barrington

I still and always will be a fan of boxing because it isn't just a brawling sport. It's very much a craft which the MMA, regardless of what their fans say, is not.

With that said, I think there are plenty of fight fans that are moving towards MMA, not because they want to see blood but because the quality and organization of the show is just flat out better. As much as I dislike Dana White, at least he gets people to fight and makes them (for the most part) deliver the goods. This type of bullshit is only acceptable in boxing because the sport has been left in the hands of promoters and the athletes themselves with little though to the fans.

I'll probably never "switch" to MMA just because I'm not a fan of the sport, but I'm certainly watching less and less boxing and haven't ordered a PPV fight in what feels like ages.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  5. Eason

Eason Senior member

Jesus, gayweather is a cunt of quite some magnitude.

6. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

Mark Jackson knows. "Hands down, man Down!"

7. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

this is a really special kind of ignorance. enjoy watching boxing guys. don't think twice about what happens in mma.

8. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

The post match interview with 80 y.o. Merchant (who seems punch drunk himself) yelling, "If I was 50 years younger, I would kick your ass!" was hilarious.

He was so happy with himself! :D

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

You could tell he so wanted to drop the N-bomb on Floyd.

10. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

This is very true.Boxing is a total mess.

This is not true at all.

11. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Floyd was already displaying his craft as he was beating Ortiz for all 4 rounds. You have your emotions backing you, I have punch stats to back my word up.

If you were really a boxing fan, you would know that the demographic that watches Boxing and UFC are two completely different groups. They actually did a study and only about 10% of the people who watch the sports watch Boxing AND UFC. Boxing will be relevant as long as there are Hispanics in America.

We have p4p fighters fighting soon, and you're sitting here crying. Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins, Nonito Donaire, Andre Ward, and Juan Manuel Marquez all fight soon. Your tears aren't going to glue back together Ortiz glass chin.

12. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Boxing is much closer to a contest of sheer barbarism than MMA is.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

"It was kind of cool, kind of controversial, to some. I fouled Floyd. I apologized. I was looking at Joe Cortez, and boom! I guess it's time for bed! But the bottom line? It was fun....I did my crying in the locker room. I was crying like a baby. The tears were left in the drain...Tomorrow is another day, like Scarlett O'Hara says...My opinion is that it wasn't a fair fight... I made some mistakes tonight, and I apologize to the public...I paid for the mistake..."

Sucka...

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

Any idea what study this was? Just among people I know and the people I see at my gym, it seems very heavily split on racial demographics also. Black and hispanic guys love boxing, while white guys are gungho for MMA.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

I must be part of the 10% that are fans of both, though I was much more successful at MMA than I ever was at boxing. As someone who has competed in both, I can say that boxing is like a marathon, and MMA is like a triathlon. Most MMA fighters would get beaten at a straight up boxing match, with very few exceptions. On the other hand, any boxer without any MMA training would get beat to a pulp in round one. The skillset needed to be a good MMA fighter is very complex. As well having a good understanding of kickboxing, wrestling, and jiujitsu, MMA fighters have to learn to transition well between the three.

It's true that most MMA fans are pretty ignorant. However, the same goes for boxing fans, from what I've seen, though the extent of their ignorance may be different.

16. Lord-Barrington

Please be assured that I didn't read even a word of this response, which I'm sure was filled with the usual TyCoon bullshit.

17. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    A really good fighter with a fighters heart takes any advantage to wreck his opponent no matter what. If you don't do that you will lose and lose badly. No one is out there to take it easy on you.
    Ortiz fucked up. He bitched up and got KTFO. When you break your guard goes up. You don't look at anyone else but your opponent. If you don't you can get knocked out. With adrenaline , ego, and competitiveness fueling these high caliber fights, a fighter at that level can't drop his guard ,period.

Get into the ring and try MMA or Boxing out. Hell, play judo, wrestling , or BBJ if you don't enjoy getting hit. I can assure you unless your are a gutless pussy you won't try to lose and will get upset when you do. The stress of making weight and dieting aren't easy. These fighters train and train and train for a HUGE hyped event. If you except them to stay cool while in the ring your blind as fuck, I mean stevie wonder can see better than that.
    It's the people who don't understand fighting that make these situations bigger than they really are. It's like the arm chair football player who gets pissed at a player for hitting another player when that's their job.

Bunch of fucking pussies. Quit crying. The fights done and checks have been cashed.

As for MMA vs Boxing , I like both. Boxing is an important part of MMA but it is only a component. MMA might look more violent but boxing produces more deaths and life threatening injury than MMA, fact.

18. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

You don't even know any boxers outside of Mayweather. It's obvious by how you think his actions alone are enough to make boxing fans go towards UFC when we have loads of talent fighting soon.

clown

19. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

lord-barrington's new favorite boxer tries to fight dirty against a superior dirty fighter and pays the price for it, see the summary below

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

20. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

I've read it about a year ago. I'll try to find it for you.

That's how I see it too from my own personal observations. Minorities, blue collar folk, and inner city people are the groups boxing caters to people. Then white boys out in the suburbs are UFC crazy. I think it's because boxing hasn't had dominant white Americans for a long time, people like to watch people like them do well in sporting competitions.