• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mayweather v. De La Hoya

Stax

Reaction score
Any one ordering this fight on PPV? Predictions?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
Any one ordering this fight on PPV? Predictions?

I'll probably download it after it goes off. I say Mayweather in 10, Dela Hoya is over rated.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been out of the boxing loop for a while so i know little about mayweather (i thought it was roger mayweather), though i'm told he is undefeated.

de la hoya was NOT overrated in his prime (he beat trinidad in their first fight even though he lost the decision) but he's been washed up for a while now. i say mayweather wins easily.

in fact, on the face of it there should be very little interest in this fight. a friend told me they made a reality show out of the training leading up to it, and it's been succesful propaganda.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I'll probably download it after it goes off. I say Mayweather in 10, Dela Hoya is over rated.

I'd love to see this go 10.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The longer it goes, the more chance Mayweather has; De la Hoya's effective jab becomes much less so because of his stamina issues. He's also too squared off in his stance in general.

koji

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find somewhere that will host it on a big screen here other than Foxwoods. Both my girlfriend and I have been waiting for this for a while.

I'm pulling for De La Hoya but he is past his prime fighting the best pound for pound fighter in the world at his prime. As far as I'm concerned De La Hoya can't lose either way.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i've been out of the boxing loop for a while so i know little about mayweather (i thought it was roger mayweather), though i'm told he is undefeated.

de la hoya was NOT overrated in his prime (he beat trinidad in their first fight even though he lost the decision) but he's been washed up for a while now. i say mayweather wins easily.

in fact, on the face of it there should be very little interest in this fight. a friend told me they made a reality show out of the training leading up to it, and it's been succesful propaganda.

Should have been even less for Tyson vs Lenox but somehow became the highest ordered(PPV) fight ever. Most of the hype comes from the names and people's love for De La Hoya and dislike of Mayweather.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm definitely ordering the fight. De La Hoya is my sentimental favorite but I don't see Mayweather losing. If De La Hoya still had Floyd's father as a trainer it might be a different story. I'm just hoping for a good fight without any controversy!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think De La Hoya might even be a little underrated in some quarters. He doesn't get enough credit for fighting all comers, I mean everybody. He didn't miss a single big gun from his generation. He did beat Trinidad, rather easily in fact, but got punished (understandably but unjustly) for dancing through the last few rounds. He also destroyed Chavez and Vargas after they talked **** about him for months. The one guy that handled him easily is Mosely - that was a bad matchup for him. Mayweather is a lot like Mosely, but better. That's Oscar's problem here. I doubt he'll handle Mayweather's speed.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that De La Hoya is underated. What ever the outcome on Saturday you know that he will be a warrior in the ring. I think De La hoya is so likable because he is a class act - He shows up in great shape and makes no bullshit excuses when he loses.

By the way, does anybody know the odds on the fight?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have been even less for Tyson vs Lenox but somehow became the highest ordered(PPV) fight ever. Most of the hype comes from the names and people's love for De La Hoya and dislike of Mayweather.

at this point, i think many people want to see de la hoya get knocked out. he has retired 4 or 5 times already. he's 34 or 35 years old. i think he wants to go out a winner but every time he announces his 'last fight', he loses.

why don't people like mayweather?

Originally Posted by Baron
I think De La Hoya might even be a little underrated in some quarters. He doesn't get enough credit for fighting all comers, I mean everybody. He didn't miss a single big gun from his generation. He did beat Trinidad, rather easily in fact, but got punished (understandably but unjustly) for dancing through the last few rounds. He also destroyed Chavez and Vargas after they talked **** about him for months.

i have to say something about your chavez comment. chavez was by far, the best fighter i have ever seen, period. when he was in his prime he would toy with top contenders and win without getting hit once. unfortunately his fights didn't become televised in the u.s. until he already had 60 wins, and most of the fights americans saw him in were way past his prime. (the de la hoya fight is a good example. chavez was about ten years past his prime at that point, out of shape, slow.)
i think his first u.s. fight was when he tko'd roger mayweather in 10 rounds. (roger was a great one.)

btw, the correct spelling is "de la Hoya".

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
at this point, i think many people want to see de la hoya get knocked out. he has retired 4 or 5 times already. he's 34 or 35 years old. i think he wants to go out a winner but every time he announces his 'last fight', he loses.

why don't people like mayweather?

Mayweather's brash , arrogant and generally vulgar. He fancies himself a sort of hip hop boxer, far more so than even Tyson or Lenox Lewis did.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree - Chavez was one of the very best of all time. I was disappointed with him because, despite the fact the de la Hoya always respected (even idolized) him, he dissed him publicly over and over again for not being a "real" Mexican. It seemed just when de la Hoya finally beat him up in the ring. The whole affair was pretty sad though.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mayweather's brash , arrogant and generally vulgar. He fancies himself a sort of hip hop boxer, far more so than even Tyson or Lenox Lewis did.

people generally like brash, arrogant, undefeated fighters, no?

lennox lewis was a bad actor. you could tell he was a normal guy just pretending to be brash because his managers told him to.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I agree - Chavez was one of the very best of all time. I was disappointed with him because, despite the fact the de la Hoya always respected (even idolized) him, he dissed him publicly over and over again for not being a "real" Mexican. It seemed just when de la Hoya finally beat him up in the ring. The whole affair was pretty sad though.

as much as i love chavez the fighter, chavez the man annoys me. i can't stand to see him interviewed because he is so undignified. toward the end of his career and to this day he's had a lot of financial and legal problems. he also started drinking a lot and all that put together turned the last 5 to 8 years of his career into a circus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads