• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maytag "neptune drying center"

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's the brochure for this fancy dryer. Does anyone have experience with this model? I'm interested in knowing whether or not it lives up to the billing. /andrew - dislikes wrinkles, ironing, and going to the cleaners.

Lomezz

Reaction score
Sorry, not familiar with the neptune, but have you looked at Miele? A German brand, they make what are arguably the best washing machines/dryers in the world. Caveat - capacity is generally smaller the US machines. oh, and prices are generally higher... Advantages: consumes very little water/power, uses very little detergent, spinning speeds up to 1800 RPM to extract as much water as possible prior to drying, and these things last about 20 years or so. A good alternative to Miele is Bosch - it uses the same front-loading technology for a lower price, perhaps at the expense of longevity? Check out this Applicanes Forum (you can do a search for Maytag) It's the StyleForum/AskAndy for appliance nuts..

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
about US$1500, depending if you use gas/electric - it's on the website. you get $200 back for some energy thing, i think. but at those prices, who's counting.

/andrew

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
We have one at home, it is great. However, you must go with Gas. My mother uses an electric one, and it is not very good at all.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
From my fact-finding when I was in the washer/dryer market I learned you want to put the money in the best, most-efficient, front-loading washer you can afford and the dryer really does not matter. Not only did reading up tell me that but a couple salespeople told me I was wasting money on a higher-end dryer.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good call andrew. my problem is i'm expected to help make these decisions.

i think the selling point of this 'neptune drying center' is less about 'high end' and more about being able to hang or flat dry your clothes in a 'better' way, and with less clutter in the laundry room. i'd just like to know if it's truly better - i.e. does it result in less wrinkles, pilling, etc. - or if it's just an expensive closet to stick your wet clothes in.

/andrew

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Well, the best I can say is while I thought it was terribly expensive at the time of purchase. It doesn't have me that annoyed now after using it.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...a 'wringing' endorsement...
lookaround.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Maytag's Neptune line is generally poorly built, unreliable, and frustrating. The washing machines are garbage, the dryers are cheap. A few years from now you will probably regret buying them.

The drying center has relatively thin plastic doors that will warp, melt, and/or crack with anything over light to moderate use. I've heard that the inside of the dryer can impart strange odors onto your clothing.

I get to hear appliance salesmen grumbling about these things all day, and I'll tell you to run a search for MAYTAG NEPTUNE on Yahoo. The first 20 sites are negative reviews, complaint boards, and hate pages.

Save the money you would have spent on this thing, and buy your drycleaner a present.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, not familiar with the neptune, but have you looked at Miele? A German brand, they make what are arguably the best washing machines/dryers in the world. Caveat - capacity is generally smaller the US machines. oh, and prices are generally higher... Advantages: consumes very little water/power, uses very little detergent, spinning speeds up to 1800 RPM to extract as much water as possible prior to drying, and these things last about 20 years or so. A good alternative to Miele is Bosch - it uses the same front-loading technology for a lower price, perhaps at the expense of longevity? Check out this Applicanes Forum (you can do a search for Maytag) It's the StyleForum/AskAndy for appliance nuts..
We have a Miele front loading washing machine that is terrific.  It was pretty expensive, but after using it for several years, it was really very worth it.  I have no experience with their dryers.   You may want to check out Epinions.com  I bet there is is review there of the dryer you are interested in. For anyone who's interested, I reviewed my Miele washer there at: http://www.epinions.com/content_60286537348

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's another cabinet-style thing, this one's from Whirlpool: Personal Valet it runs about $1200 for the basic white/bisque, or $1300 for the nicer looking decorator series. seems to do some kind of de-wrinkling/odor-removing, good for non-visibly-stained clothes. sounds nice for the iron-haters. anyone know of this model? /andrew

rjsphd

Reaction score
I have the neptunes and the washer has been essentially rebuilt twice with repair parts. Love the front loaders, like the capacity and the cleaning job, but unhappy with my Neptune. Also had poor service until I pulled some strings and scared management--now they jump when they hear my name. Problem is, for this dough, why should they know my name. Hear good things about Miele. And the advice above on the dryer is true: its the washer that matters.

Rob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads