• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

May 2009 Graduation - Entry Wall Street Attire Advice

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm graduating in May, and I'm starting to give serious consideration as to my professional attire, when I begin work in July 2009 as an investment banking analyst in NYC, so it is time to upgrade my wardrobe from my summer analyst days.

Quick overview:

- I'm a Slim Guy...Think 5'11'', 150-160 lbs.
- Shoes: Johnston & Murphy, and I may invest in Allen Edmonds
- Note: Clean-cut and well-dressed is key, but so subtlety

My problem is, concerning the suit brand to pursue when factoring in body type and affordability:

Brooks Brothers: Naturally, my first thought, but I have read repeatedly that BB suits are rather big-fitting and feel like a tent. Note again: I am a slim guy.

Jos A. Bank: I have heard mixed comments about the quality, so I am rather hesitant to invest in it.

Men's Wearhouse: No...just...no

MTM: Out of my price range of course

Now I hear a lot about off-the rack suits from the likes of Nordstrom and Saks but again I need to keep affordability and quality in mind.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brooks is fine, and they have slimmer-fitting cuts. For a job like that, assuming there are any banks left, I'd go with Brooks to start.

stamp0102

Reaction score
+1 brook brothers fitzgerald. slim-fitting, high armholes, narrower lapel, very clean lines

hopefully you'll have a job to wear these suits at come next summer.

Reuters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
Hey Guys,

I'm graduating in May, and I'm starting to give serious consideration as to my professional attire, when I begin work in July 2009 as an investment banking analyst in NYC, so it is time to upgrade my wardrobe from my summer analyst days.

Priority now should be whether the IB is able to pay you.

Originally Posted by grimslade
Brooks is fine, and they have slimmer-fitting cuts. For a job like that, assuming there are any banks left, I'd go with Brooks to start.

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
+1 brook brothers fitzgerald. slim-fitting, high armholes, narrower lapel, very clean lines
Thanks. I see Brooks Brothers is having pretty big sales right now of course. 2 Questions: 1) Will there likely be sales event equal or better than Christmas and New Years sometime between now and July? 2) Location-Wise? Are the BB outlets the best place in terms of availability or is the regular store the best bet?

mg428

Reaction score
Normally, throughout the year, you cannot find a better deal than the ongoing up to 50% off + 15% x-mas sale, unless an item is put to the clearence. This summer the bi-annual sale was only 25% off and even if there were further reductions later, most sizes were gone.

Note that for the spring summer season Brooks sells, in addition to regular suits, moslty cotton suits with light colors, which may not be what you want.

BTW, everything is going crazy nowadays. We may see further sales.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads