• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maxx & Unicorn vintage bi-fold: thoughts?

whuh

Reaction score
I was thinking about maybe getting this wallet as a replacement for my current wallet: http://www.supermarkethq.com/product/brown-bi-fold-wallet

I like the fact (on paper) that it's thin and is relatively small (7.75" x 3.25" open according to Hickorees), so it should fit nicely in my front pocket. I was curious if anyone here has this wallet and if so, what they think of it, and what they like/don't like about it? Is it easy to take cash out and put it back in? How about cards?

Thanks!

cthip

Reaction score
i've had it for a little over a year.

my thoughts:

i've never gotten more comments or compliments on any wallet. interesting color choices tend to catch people's eye and make them take a closer look. mine is "winter taupe," which is really just a fancy name for light gray.

it's thin. savagely, ridiculously, thin.
it gets thicker when you put stuff in it, so it's close to a normal thickness wallet when it's full.

it holds a lot of stuff, you can easily fit 4-6 cards on each side. you start to realize that you dont need a separate, individual flap for each card and all those extra layers of leather were adding unnecessary bulk to your old wallet.

the leather is TERRIBLE. some of the worst i've ever seen anywhere. paper thin. shiny, plasticky texture. the printed-on grain texture (this is definitely not full-grain leather) is comical. it's obnoxiously repetitive and the grain is so small/tight that it doesn't even try to resemble actual leather. if you order a light color, and are into raw denim, a good amount of indigo will transfer to the wallet. not in a cool distressed-aged way, just in a "my gray wallet is now blue" way

the "no-stitches" design is a gimmick. yes, it's cool that it's just one piece of leather folded up, but nobody will ever know that but you. instead of stitches, they use glue to keep it together. as you put stuff in the wallet, its expands, and stretches, and some of the sticky glue is exposed, attracts lint, and looks bad.

overall, i like the form factor, and the quality isn't bad enough for me to replace it after a year. it's still holding up and there are no rips or tears. whenever i finally get sick of it, i will buy another wallet of similar design but made with much better leather and stitched together instead of folded/glued. i think i've seen them available from saddleback leather and leather goods connection, both of which make outstanding products. they won't have the color selection or flash of the maxx/unicorn, but they're much better products for the same or less money.

Last edited:

whuh

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Regarding the leather, I'm wondering if the version/model of the wallet I linked to above ("vintage") uses superior leather? I'm guessing it does but who knows, perhaps yours is the same model, just dyed?

How about getting US cash in and out of the wallet (specifically, putting it in): would you say it's any more difficult to do so than it is with the "typical" wallet? My current wallet is terrible in this regard so the last thing I want is to get another wallet that's just as difficult to put cash in.

autumndreams

Reaction score
Can't say I have any experience with that particular wallet. If leather quality is an issue, though, tanner goods makes a very nice, slim bifold in the same price range. I've had mine for about two months now, I find it's very easy to get money in and out of. Depending what you're looking for, it might make for an interesting alternative:

http://www.tannergoods.com/products/utility-bifold-russet

whuh

Reaction score
Thanks autumndreams. Yeah, I've heard of tanner, however I'm trying to stay away from chrome-tanned leather so the wallet in particular you linked to is probably not for me. However I just took a closer look and it looks like the "natural" version of that wallet uses vegetable-tanned leather (which I didn't realize from looking at their site before -- I thought all of their wallets used chrome-tanned leather) so thanks for pointing it out to me again.

Corter is another company I've been looking at as well.

cthip

Reaction score
corter, tanner, saddleback, or lgc all make good stuff and will be similar in quality--all of them are better than maxx+unicorn

the saddleback "small" bifold is similar in design to maxx+unicorn, and is also the cheapest
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Wallet-Bifold.html?sc=8&category=87

leather goods connection is here
http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/wallets.html
scroll down to "wallet #2" it's available in calfskin or bridle leather
yes, his website sucks but his products are awesome

the tanner bifolds all have the three rows of card slots that stack vertically. this adds thickness and tallness. also, they use heavier leather. this is all good for durability, but if a slim profile is what attracted you to maxx+unicorn, then these might not be the right options for you.

this is probably your best option
http://corterleather.bigcartel.com/product/folded-bifold

i'm still concerned about

and to answer your earlier question, there are zero problems getting cash/cards in or out of this wallet style--it's the same as any other wallet.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these Noah Lambert wallets? They're probably one of the most basic aesthetically pleasing leather wallets i've come across so far, my concern is that they may just be too thick though to keep in your back pocket...

http://www.noahlambert.com/

whuh

Reaction score
Haven't used one but I agree, Noah's wallet is gorgeous and it's a wallet I'd love to eventually own. I've emailed him in the past (I think to ask about the dimensions) and he's a really nice guy too, which is always a bonus. One of the reasons it's off the table for me for now though is because I've currently got a wallet that's about 4.5" tall, and the way my front pocket / jeans are, when I kneel or lift my leg high enough I can feel my wallet bending from hitting my hip and the top of my thigh slightly, so I think I'd like to go with something a little smaller.

I'm also looking at Corter's "standard bifold": http://corterleather.bigcartel.com/product/the-standard-bifold

It doesn't have those "hidden" pockets, but I do like that it's a 4" square. I just wonder if the way it "bubbles" on the outside when open (see the wallet pictured in the bottom of the photo at that link) would bother me or if I'm just overthinking it. Anyone here have Corter's standard bifold and if so, do you care to share any comments about it?

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I m thinking about getting the standard bifold as well, but I am also thinking about the potential "bubbles" that you were talking about.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Maxx & Unicorn did a series of wallets and card holders for Styleforum several years ago (try searching for the brand...?). I personally liked the leather they used back then; it was thin (which was a plus for me) but had a soft hand. I don't think anyone then complained about it feeling "like plastic." It's not one of the more supple leathers I've come across but considering how thin it is, I don't think you'd want it to be. In fact, it might have been a little too smooth. It's the only wallet I've owned that had a tendency to slip out of my back pocket while seated.

My biggest complaint is the glue. It works its way out of the wallet and starts to adhere to other spots and folds, almost looking like black gum. Not exactly desirable. The gold lettering also only lasted a few months. It would have been better if they had actually stamped/pressed the leather with the marking so at least there'd be a sign that something was there at one point.

I used it for a few years. No tears or rips but the edges have become dark from contact with my jeans.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
That version looks markedly better than the kind we were given. The only thing pressed into the leather is "HANDMADE" which is still visible.

As you can see, the gold stamps aren't pressed into the leather save for "handmade."

The best way I can explain the glue is to use one of the photos in the link:

You can see in the crease where the leather goes into the slot that there's a bit of residue. Well, imagine a bit more of that around some of the folds once the wallet gets pressed and worn. It's not like you'll really notice it with that leather color (although mine was red) and it's not like you can't clean it off if you wanted to. It's just little things like that made it feel a bit cheap to me even though the wallet itself has held up well. This latest incarnation looks a bit better than what we got but since glue is used you'll probably see some of the same issues.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the explanation. I guess I will have to spend sometime to make my decision. but i agree with you that for a $88 wallet to have those tiny bit of glue that comes out because of wear would make me think it's kinda cheap.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
While totally different, for that kind of money I went with RRL and never looked back. Surface 2 Air makes some really great wallets that have a similar aesthetic as Maxx but in my opinion are much, much nicer.

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i checked out some of the RRL wallets on eBay. every seller is selling them at retail price, which is $200+ and my budge is $100 and the fact that they probably got those from outlets make me even less willing to pay the asking price.

I was able to found some pics of used Maxx wallet on SF and it seems like the leather is too thin and gradually shows a shape of the cards that you have in it. I don't think I like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads