• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maximum distance from last button to sleeve opening on a jacket?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you think is the maximum distance acceptable from the end of the sleeve to the first button on a sport coat? I have a jacket on which the sleeves are about 1/4" or 3/8" too short, but the buttonholes have been cut. Unfortunately, there are four working buttonholes, otherwise I'd just have the sleeve let down and another added.

If it matters, I'm 5' 10" and my proper sleeve length is around 25.25", depending on the jacket of course.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1 1/4" from the center of the button to the edge of the sleeve is traditional. Above 1 1/2" it starts to look noticably "off" in my opinion.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My policy is not to think about it.

I think it looks good anywhere from 1"-1.5" although a little more doesn't set me off too much.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like 1.5" from center of the distal button to the edge of the sleeve. I have some suits that are 1.25" and that looks a bit close to me.

I've seen some nice suits (a friend's MTM Zegnas spring to mind) done with 1.75" from button center to sleeve edge, and I think that is pushing (if not over) the outer limits of acceptability.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jamison, I had this exact problem a while back and got the same advice you have. I ended up right at about 1 3/4". My jacket has 4 working buttons too. I had thought about adding a 5th to reduce this distance, and might actually do this at some point, as 5 buttons may look less "off" than too much jacket cuff below the distal button.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the opposite: what's the least acceptable spacing between the lowest button and the cuff?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From the end of the button to the end of the sleeve - 1/2" is the limit to me. I actually have mine done with a 3/4" space between the end of the button and the end of the sleeve (1" if measured from the shank.) I think they look better with less space personally, a la Oxxford.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1.25" to 1.75" bottom edge to center of button sounds good to me.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
since the sleeve bottom is normally slanted. when the sleeve is lengthened. the front of the sleeve can be dropped another 1/4". thats just a little less slant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads