• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maximizing interview performance

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had an interview lately where I felt that I really should have been able to nail it, but I was really
not on my game that day, mainly due to letting my nerves get the best of me.

So, any tips for keeping calm and focused on the day of the interview?

Specifically, I have been thinking of trying Ritalin/Ativan/some other performance-enhancing medication. Generally, I don't like the idea of using drugs, but if it will take nerves out of the equation then I feel it would be worth if for temporary use.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the only surefire way to feel confident and relaxed is to research the **** out of the company, position, industry it's related to, and anything you can think of. Only when you know you have an answer to almost any possible question you can think of, can you actually feel very prepared and confident.

That being said, I do have a prescription for ativan and propanolol due to anxiety. I've been taking the ativan lately for interviews, but the amnesic effects are absolutely TERRIBLE. Plus, they make you kind of drowsy. It's a difficult balance to strike with the dosing.

imschatz

Reaction score
I've had good success focusing on two questions: 1) Why do I want the job? 2) What do I know about the job that other candidates won't? I donno. I always have the mindset that I know what I'm doing. I take the same mindset that I took into exams @ uni .. just do you're best, and you'll be happy with the result. Don't focus on the result (I never walked into an exam thinking I need an A - I've never walked into an interview thinking I need this job), focus on process.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't over think it, but I definitely wouldn't try to take something that you hadn't been using for awhile and knew the side effects of.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a swig of whiskey before to loosen you up. Just make sure to rinse your mouth out with some mouthwash to mask the smell.
teacha.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently interviewed for a position at a different organization and got the job. I set aside my interview clothes the day before and all of them are tried and true so I had no concerns about fit/pattern, ect. I went over answers to potential questions in my head for kind of a brainstorming session. In the interview I asked a few questions about specifics with the company than interjected in how I've developed my client book and how I plan to modify those skills and leverage them into the new position. I got the job.

Odey

Reaction score
There is no way better way to nail an interview than to be super prepared.

If you are in college, it should be fairly easy to find someone who has interviewed at the same firm. Ask them to give you some pointers and mock if possible. Seriously, mock so much it becomes 2nd nature. Also, have answers to all the standard questions memorized (or atleast the bullet points you want to hit in your answer). Finally, come up with questions before hand.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in recruitment so I deal with interviews on a daily basis.

Make sure your appropriately dressed, do your research about the company.

First up what ever emotional baggage your carrying leave it at the door, think of it this way put your game face on. Your there for one reason to nail the job.

So exude confidence, if you don't believe in your abilities they wont.

As soon as you meet the panel make eye contact and keep it with them. Firm handshakes and when sitting adopt a confident posture, don't slouch.

When answering be concise and articulate, speak clearly don't waffle on.

If you need to think about a response then do so. Trust me panels are impressed by thoughtful candidates.

Your the product their interested in buying so its you capacity and capability to do the job which should be on show. So make sure you pitch is spot on.

Good luck.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Preparation. The best interview of my life was for an internship in college. I blew them away and was pretty confident midinterview of my chances with the questions I was asking them about their competitors and where (the interviewers) saw themselves/the company in a few years time, etc. I walked out of the building on a massive high. Something I've yet to repeat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads