• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Max Bill Junghans Watch - Should I Buy?

deranged

Reaction score
http://www.watchesjewelleryandgifts....y_junghans.htm I've been eying this watch for a very long time. I just recently started working full time after I completed my undergrad and will be working until June of 2011 before I start my MBA. Everyone at work has classy watches and I feel bare wearing my iPod nano watch. I have a couple of watches, but they are either inappropriate (too big for work) or too flashy to be wearing at my entry level job. I want your take on this piece before I blow away a week's pay.
B123_junghans_n4.jpg
I'm also debating between getting the watch without numbers and without the date, or getting the watch with numbers and the date. The price difference is about $150. Is having the date worth that much? The version with the stop watch is about $700 more and I'm definitely not looking to drop that much money for a stop watch. Any comments appreciated.
eh.gif
ONE MORE THING. Is this site reputable for buying watches? I don't want to pay for a knockoff. I've tried looking at other places for this watch and I can't find locale retailers that sell it. I live in Toronto and if you know of any stores that has this watch for cheaper. Let me know!

soxpats

Reaction score
Its nice, good choice if your not looking to spend tons of money.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
http://www.watchesjewelleryandgifts....y_junghans.htm

I've been eying this watch for a very long time.
I just recently started working full time after I completed my undergrad and will be working until June of 2011 before I start my MBA. Everyone at work has classy watches and I feel bare wearing my iPod nano watch. I have a couple of watches, but they are either inappropriate (too big for work) or too flashy to be wearing at my entry level job.

I want your take on this piece before I blow away a week's pay.

B123_junghans_n4.jpg

I'm also debating between getting the watch without numbers and without the date, or getting the watch with numbers and the date. The price difference is about $150. Is having the date worth that much?

The version with the stop watch is about $700 more and I'm definitely not looking to drop that much money for a stop watch.

Any comments appreciated.
eh.gif

ONE MORE THING. Is this site reputable for buying watches? I don't want to pay for a knockoff. I've tried looking at other places for this watch and I can't find locale retailers that sell it. I live in Toronto and if you know of any stores that has this watch for cheaper. Let me know!

I like the watch the way it is. I personally do not like a date function. It usually throws off
the symmetry of the watch. The Stop Watch feature seems like an over-priced fetish. If
you need a stop watch you can get one for around $20.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been eyeing this one (and the other versions) too... I like the look of the stopwatch version but I suspect it's completely useless and actually also less practical because of the missing numbers. So I think the one you've posted (plus a date) is the nicest. Personally I use the date feature all the date feature all the time but I can understand if you think it throws off the look and you don't even use it. Some pics:

My favorite... ie not too complicated, has the date and numbers
2junghansmaxbill800usd.jpg

Date and chrono, looks interesting without being too crowded, but I actually find without teh numbers it takes an extra second to actually figure out the time
2bjungansmaxbillchronos.jpg

and this is 'the works', which personally I think is contrary to the whole point of the simplicity of the face, but I can see the appeal for some.
jungansmaxbillchronosco.jpg

and a wristshot (not me)
jungansmaxbillchronosco.jpg

run23

Reaction score
For what it's worth I used to own that watch but sold it, and I regret getting rid of it and may pick it up again in the future. I love the look of the watch -- I think the design is near perfect in its simplicity. I usually wear dive watches so I think I was just afraid of smashing this or getting it wet.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have had two Max Bills, great looking watches but nothing special. The crystal is very susceptible to scratches. if you check some EU sellers, they have better prices than what you're looking at on Designer Time.

Also, if you're interested, I have a black face Chronoscope I'm looking to sell on.

http://www.stardust.com/MAXBILLMB273...re_Code=S.html

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer this version without numbers and no date.

junghans3501.jpg

Keep in mind they have plastic crystals and are easily scratched (but can be buffed out).

deranged

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments guys. So I think I'm set on getting the watch with numbers and the date only. Designer time has a 10% off deal right now until Jan 31st, and shipping is only ~$15. After conversion, it comes to $820 CND. http://www.watchesjewelleryandgifts....y_junghans.htm If you guys have coupon codes or cheaper sources, please let me know. I'm going to buy order it tomorrow. Also, I found this picture of the stop watch version with a very unique strap.
58318_957021524312_28125811_57492938_2548050_n.jpg

BE2

Reaction score
Yes!

spa0386.jpg

I would recommend the model without the date. 2.5 years running and the watch is running fine.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A classic Bauhaus design. You really can't go wrong...I have wanted one of these for 10 years, just never got around to getting one.

Mike

ratratan

Reaction score
black faced models look great as well. i like the ones without numbers best but either would be great to own.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I have had two Max Bills, great looking watches but nothing special. The crystal is very susceptible to scratches. if you check some EU sellers, they have better prices than what you're looking at on Designer Time.

Also, if you're interested, I have a black face Chronoscope I'm looking to sell on.

http://www.stardust.com/MAXBILLMB273...re_Code=S.html

Great sales pitch YFYF!

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
Thanks for all your comments guys. So I think I'm set on getting the watch with numbers and the date only.

Designer time has a 10% off deal right now until Jan 31st, and shipping is only ~$15. After conversion, it comes to $820 CND.
http://www.watchesjewelleryandgifts....y_junghans.htm

If you guys have coupon codes or cheaper sources, please let me know. I'm going to buy order it tomorrow.

Also, I found this picture of the stop watch version with a very unique strap.

58318_957021524312_28125811_57492938_2548050_n.jpg

Good choice. The one without any numbers looked a little too minimal, like a cheap Skagen. The stop watch is an unecessary complication.

laphroaig

Reaction score
I think two additional buttons are necessery to pull the whole thing together. I love minimalism so it's hard for me to say this but I think others are too simple.

This is possibly my favourite watch.

alexanduh

Reaction score
worth the money if you ask me

paired with BE2's strap it looks insane
bounce2.gif

i gotta get myself one when i get the money

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads