• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maui/Rio..What to wear?

fiftyfour

Reaction score
I will be attending a fairly informal wedding in Maui later this year, then planning a trip to
Rio early next year. Trying to plan my wardrobe. Was thinking of purchasing a nice Guaybera to wear with chinos for the wedding, not sure on shoes (boat shoes?, loafers?). I need advice on this and some additional stuff to wear in Hawaii, that would work for Rio too. I can handle poolside attire, I'm looking for help with stuff to wear out to dinner and drinks. I don't want anything too fancy, but wanna look decent.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably should wear a dress shirt and tailored jacket and not boat shoes for the wedding. For any clothing there, linen should help.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I was the groom (ahh, happy memories...), for my wedding on O'ahu I went for a beige, unlined linen suit and linen shirt.

From my experiences in Hawai'i, folks never really got dressed up for much at all – away from slightly more well-heeled areas around Waialae-Kahala. Just don't go in for Aloha shirts! Simple, chino/linen shorts and polos should cover most bases there.

fiftyfour

Reaction score
I'm sure a suit would look great, but I don't think even the groom will be wearing a suit. I want to look well dressed, but not out do the groom.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be best to ask about the dress code. If not, mid-gray jacket, white dress shirt, tan chinos, light-colored dress shoes (not as out there as white bucks), and no tie ought to avoid attention.

rammie

Reaction score
Try keeping it low key in Rio. Considering the risks of being robbed you don't want to draw any attention to yourself and look "rich" by wearing branded polo shirts, an expensive watch or anything like that.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
From my experiences in Hawai'i, folks never really got dressed up for much at all - away from slightly more well-heeled areas around Waialae-Kahala. Just don't go in for Aloha shirts!

That sounds right- except that in Hawaii even the governor wears Aloha shirts! Just not the loud ones.

The local businessman types wear Aloha shirts that look like nice inside out versions of the tourist ones- subdued.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads