• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matte Titanium Watch

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I am not a fan of watches. I appreciate them, don't get me wrong, I just do not like wearing them. I do not want to spend more than $500 on a watch. I am the type that would rather rely on my phone for the time. I just feel restricted wearing one, and it tends to bother me.

That being said, I need to have one. Currently, I have a hand me down from my father that I rarely wear; only when I feel as though I would be judged for not having one (which i realize is more often than I think).

Is having a matte, titanium watch an issue? Is it tacky in some way? I like the simple, understated look and low profile of this watch and can see myself wearing it quite often. I know it is a little more sporty, but it would actually fit my lifestyle a little more than a more formal watch. I do not work in a formal environment, yet try to dress up as much as I can (typically sport coat and trousers).

How do you feel about this watch? I understand you might not personally love it, but is it appalling? I just do not have a good feel for watches. Thanks you for your help.

41e%2BnfAU7lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Big T

Reaction score
I like the looks of the matte titanium! I've been shopping for a watch for the past few months and have seriously considered titanium also. I'm also considering watches that have a black face, case & band.

Seems there is a pretty well defined line in age groups--you're part of the "tell time from your cell phone" group and I'm from the other side! I feel nekkid without a wristwatch!

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest you try a titanium watch before buying one. To me, they are too light and "don't feel right." Difficult to explain but you need to see for yourself. Titanium has a very different feel from stainless steel, gold or platinum. It's very strong and very light, but not a good metal for watches IMO.

Twotone

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I suggest you try a titanium watch before buying one. To me, they are too light and "don't feel right." Difficult to explain but you need to see for yourself. Titanium has a very different feel from stainless steel, gold or platinum. It's very strong and very light, but not a good metal for watches IMO.

Twotone

I disagree. I love my Citizen titanium watch. I got it from Katsu at Higuchi, and you can see it at the below link. Yes, it's lighter, but it feels good on the wrist and I know that it's very strong and will go the distance. Mine is the blue/red version.

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/56-2811.html

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a 10 year+ plus Citizen Eco Drive titanium watch and I love it.

It has a more subtle design than the ones in the above link and goes well with everything.

The actual watch is built well and never has a problem. However, the band is starting to get a few scratches and other issues with the clasp. I would love to find an original replacement for the clasp.

If your lifestyle fits a sporty watch go for it.

I have two kids and work and gardening activities that match my watch well. I have a beautiful 50 year old Omega that my father gave me that I rarely wear.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I might go for it. The lightness might actually be a plus for me, as I am not used to wearing a watch and get rather claustrophobic in things like watches and rings (took me a year to get used to my wedding band).

Thanks everyone, this is good feedback.

michael_legeek

Reaction score
I like titanium watches myself - I find the visually muted quality of the metal works for me, and although the lightness felt 'wrong' to me at first, I am entirely used to it now.

Have a look at the Skagen titanium watches - a quick web search on skagen titanium will bring up quite a few. Nordstrom carries some (rather attractive ones at that) which might give you a place to go and try some on to see whether they are in fact your kind of thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads