• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mattabisch shirts fit ?

sacaroly

Reaction score
Hi,
I've heard they are good quality shirts probably on par with Barba and may be Borrelli/Finamore.
This ebay seller seems to offer a nice collection for a good price, but he doesn't put any measurements and is not willing to give them on request! But from his feedback he seems to offer reliable transactions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2015-MA...836312?hash=item3f55960b58:g:ZfAAAOSw~bFWIf3U

Any feedback on recent Mattabisch shirt fit would be appreciated (My size is 41/42)
Would like to know if they have back darts or not? Are they too slim especially at the waist?

Thanks in advance!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seller does not offer complete measurements.
I will not buy a shirt online,especially an Italian shirt,
which tend to run slim, without knowing the chest measurement,
in addition to the shoulder and waist numbers. I have broad
shoulders and a big chest. Contact the seller before buying.
For the Kiton shirts he is selling, he provides measurements

Last edited:

sacaroly

Reaction score
Thanks Comrade for your valued opinion and I completely agree with you. That's why I'm hesitant to buy. I've written twice to him and after the second time he sent me this short reply: If size 16 is good for you it will fit!!!!

I 've asked him if the fit is slim or classic or at least to say if the back has darts or not, but no reply ! I also wanted to ask why does he give measurements for Kiton and not for Mattabisch. My guess is that he's quoted kiton shirts measurements from another ebay seller.

The thing is that he has a nice new collection especially in basic solid colors for a decent price. That's why I'm hopeful that a member who might have purchased Mattabisch shirts recently could give a feedback on the fit. I don't think they have many fits.

Best,

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Sacaroly,

I have a Mattabisch kiton shirt, which I purchased in my normal size some time ago. The quality is very good, on par with the best dress shirts I own. The collar is particular is something special, and I have yet to find something quite like it.

The downside of the shirt is (as you suspect) that the fit is very slim. Being a skinny/athletic build, normally I would love this, but the shoulders and chest were too small for me to the point that I gave it to my younger brother (who is like a smaller version of my build-wise). I do not believe the shirt has darts, but I would say the sizing is something akin to a brooks brothers fitzgerald or extra-slim size wise.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A side note but I wouldn't go by the Kiton measurements either. I've bought three from this seller and they all varied in their dimensions.

sacaroly

Reaction score
Hi Sacaroly,

I have a Mattabisch kiton shirt, which I purchased in my normal size some time ago. The quality is very good, on par with the best dress shirts I own. The collar is particular is something special, and I have yet to find something quite like it.

The downside of the shirt is (as you suspect) that the fit is very slim. Being a skinny/athletic build, normally I would love this, but the shoulders and chest were too small for me to the point that I gave it to my younger brother (who is like a smaller version of my build-wise). I do not believe the shirt has darts, but I would say the sizing is something akin to a brooks brothers fitzgerald or extra-slim size wise.

A side note but I wouldn't go by the Kiton measurements either. I've bought three from this seller and they all varied in their dimensions.

Thanks Gauss17 and Winston for your helpful inputs. It seems now that these shirts are really slim. I'm not very familiar with brooks brother fitzgerald. My best fit in the last few years is borrelli size 16. (I'm referring to borrelli shirts purchased from shopthefinest in the last two years) . Could Mattabisch be slimmer than those?

I guess I'll either give up the idea or take the risk with one shirt. In this case I'll probably have to size up ( the down side would be the too wide neck and too long sleeves). Meanwhile may be more opinions on this seller's collection would come.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gauss17 and Winston for your helpful inputs. It seems now that these shirts are really slim. I'm not very familiar with brooks brother fitzgerald. My best fit in the last few years is borrelli size 16. (I'm referring to borrelli shirts purchased from shopthefinest in the last two years) . Could Mattabisch be slimmer than those?

I guess I'll either give up the idea or take the risk with one shirt. In this case I'll probably have to size up ( the down side would be the too wide neck and too long sleeves). Meanwhile may be more opinions on this seller's collection would come.

I own both and Mattacbisch Kiton is def slimmer than my borelli's... I just wish both came with longer arms..I had to size up from 16.5 to a 17 just to get the fit about right... it was still pretty slim but it worked for me. Hope this helps!

sacaroly

Reaction score
I own both and Mattacbisch Kiton is def slimmer than my borelli's... I just wish both came with longer arms..I had to size up from 16.5 to a 17 just to get the fit about right... it was still pretty slim but it worked for me. Hope this helps!
Thanks Chocsosa. That makes the picture pretty clear. May I ask you, obviously if you have time, to provide the measurements of your size 17 shirt (shoulder, chest and waist)?
Best

sacaroly

Reaction score
Chest:49

Shoulder:20

Not sure about waist... Hope this helps..

Thanks for taking the pain to send the meaurements.
Yes it helps but I'm a bit intrigued! This doesn't look, for me, too slim for size 17 italian shirt. If I compare it to Borrelli or Barba meaurements from shopthefinest over the past three years this look even bigger!
http://www.shopthefinest.com/collections/shirts#/?Category1=Shirts&search_return=all&Size=17

It means that size 16 or 16.5 would be OK for me, but the issue is the waist. I need Chest 46 and 42 waist (better 43) like borrelli size 16. If Mattabisch fit is wide at shoulders/chest but goes too slim at the waist (like going from chest 46 to waist 40 or 41) that could be my problem.

I don't want to bother you too much, but if you can take the waist meaurement at any time, I'd be more than thankful.

sacaroly

Reaction score
I've finally pulled the trigger on one of these shirts and here are some impressions:
I have to admit I was expecting something better after what has been said about the quality of this brand. The shirt fabric is far from being on par even with Barba black label. The fit is a bit similar to barba black label and it has back darts. For size 16 the shoulder measures 19'', the chest is around 22.5''. Apart from the handwork and the mother of pearl buttons, nothing special. A close look shows sloppy hand made details and gives the impression that they were done be less trained people! The sleeve-head hand finishing is not symmetric and is placed nearer to the seam than one would usually see on other italian shirts. The same goes for the handmade buttonholes which have an obvious moderate to poor quality, It's obviously not the same quality of handwork I've seen on other italian shirts (which is generally uniform between brands like Borrelli, Barba, finamore,...) It looks like it was done simply to impress a customer who will have his mouth wide open when he sees these handmade details with a relatively lower price tag. Although the price tag is lower than most renowned italian shirt but I still think the shirt is not worth the asked price. Surprisingly, the same seller has a website which doesn't look well developed but he had put some of these shirts for much lower price (50 euros)! which I think is a fair price given the aforementioned quality.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads