1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Lauer's Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grayland, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Since finding Styleforum, I find myself paying more attention to suits worn by TV personalities. I've noticed Matt Lauer's suits seem to be very slim cut or should I say the pants are. Is this a particular cut of suit or just slim in general? I'm not asking because I think it looks good; I don't care for it at all. Maybe it's a state of mind, but I'd feel like an old man (I'm 43) trying to look hip. I'm in excellent shape and could pull off the look easily, but just wouldn't feel comfortable. My jackets are well tailored, but I like a little movement in my pants (yes, I just lobbed a softball to some of you guys!). To each his own, I suppose.

2. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I don't know about the suits but I always thought the way ML sit when interviewing someone, with his legs crossed like that and at that angle, is rather unattractive. Wonder if anyone else thinks so....
    I do know the guy worked when around college age at a good men's clothing store and always seems to convey a decent sense of style - likely related to that experience.

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

The thing about Matt is his shoes always looks shined. He's very sartorial and his style works on him. He's obviously paying a lot of attention to how he looks/dresses. Almost too hard.

4. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

He's obviously paying a lot of attention to how he looks/dresses. Almost too hard.

You can type that with a straight face on a forum dedicated to the minutiae of men's clothing?

5. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

if your interested in his clothing, just wait till the show ends..as they show who the clothes belong to in the end during the credits. good luck.. post that up if you if do find that.

6. Ringo

Ringo Senior member

I believe there was some discussion of this a while back, where the conclusion was that he wears MTM Zegna.

7. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

He's very sharp dressed and I noticed he was wearing brown shoes last week with a blue suit. I guess the tighter pants on someone that age kinda reminds me of Mick Jagger.

8. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

He's very sharp dressed and I noticed he was wearing brown shoes last week with a blue suit. I guess the tighter pants on someone that age kinda reminds me of Mick Jagger.

Are you kidding me? You're comparing Matt Lauer's clothing to Mick Jagger? Matt Lauer's pants aren't too tight. They may be slim but they look in proportion and certainly don't look tight. There is a difference between slim and tight.

9. migo

migo Senior member

I've also noticed he dresses well...I rather like his choice shoes.

10. JR88

JR88 Senior member

I remember someone saying he goes to Barneys all the time, which makes sense because it's so close to NBC. I'm sure his tailor comes to him though, for non-OTR stuff.

I agree that he always looks good -- he's on TV; he SHOULD look good. But the original poster has an interesting point. Isn't the Today Show's target demographic Midwestern women aged 45-65? If so, then should Matt be wearing more relaxed-fitting pants?

11. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Isn't the Today Show's target demographic Midwestern women aged 45-65? If so, then should Matt be wearing more relaxed-fitting pants?

Maybe they want to see something different -- further escapism on TV. [​IMG]

12. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

No, I'm not comparing Matt's clothing to Mick Jagger's clothing. For me (and maybe only me), it looks a little funny to see an a middle-aged man wearing slim cut pants like that, accented with minimal break. He's very well dressed, makes millions, is married to a super-model...he's obviously doing something right.

It's only my opinion. I also don't care for sack suits and I think an old fart like Harrison Ford looks foolish with a pierced ear.

13. JR88

JR88 Senior member

For me (and maybe only me), it looks a little funny to see an a middle-aged man wearing slim cut pants like that, accented with minimal break. He's very well dressed, makes millions, is married to a super-model...he's obviously doing something right.

It's only my opinion. I also don't care for sack suits and I think an old fart like Harrison Ford looks foolish with a pierced ear.

To me, it's funnier to see 18-year-olds (like models in clothing catalogs) wearing slim-cut suits. Or suits at all. Matt is in great shape; that's really the only prerequisite for wearing slim-fitting clothes.

Agree on the earring though. I took mine out after college.

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

For me (and maybe only me), it looks a little funny to see an a middle-aged man wearing slim cut pants like that, accented with minimal break.

I hope to be this middle-aged man one day.

15. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

That's all well and fine, but can someone explain to me Charlie Rose's personal aesthetic? [​IMG]

16. Pat45

Pat45 New Member

Not being hateful, but I think he always looks like he might be wearing a little brother's clothes. Pants look silly...too short and tight, jacket too snug, sometimes buttons the wrong button and the over-long tie hangs out, crosses legs during interviews and makes pants look even more ridiculous and socks either missing or too light. I think he needs a stylist because he is a nice looking middle aged man who should not look so silly in the clothes he usually wears.