• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Lauer's socks.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been catching up on a variety of news programs lately and while I think I have a handle on Tucker Carlson's tiny knots--his mother must tie them for him--Lauer's choice of black socks regardless of shoe, pant, shirt, tie or set colour confuses me.

Is black the media power sock?

lefty

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I had never noticed this, but perhaps it's just a function of having to awaken at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. every morning in order to appear on The Today Show. I would suppose that it would it be easier to only wear black socks rather than trying to match up your socks to your outfit every day at that time of the morning.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Many men who had military service wear black socks no matter what color their trousers. The military issued black socks for every color - khaki, navy, olive, etc.

So those who have served think that's the norm. I can't believe that Matt was in any military service, but maybe he learned sock etiquette from his father.

Anyone have his e-mail, I'll write to him and set him straight!!
smile.gif
Maybe I should mail him a copy of the CD-rom Encyclopedia of Mens' Clothes!

Andy

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I had never noticed this, but perhaps it's just a function of having to awaken at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. every morning in order to appear on The Today Show. I would suppose that it would it be easier to only wear black socks rather than trying to match up your socks to your outfit every day at that time of the morning.

Lauer is a pretty well-dressed fellow. I can't imagine him failing at sock choice. He's making a choice, my question is why?

lefty

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, man...I thought this was going to be some weird fetish thread. Whew! At any rate, I too have never noticed this, but it seems awfully boring to me.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought most of regular media talking heads had someone pick out their wardrobe for them ..."here, wear this today".

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merckx
I thought most of regular media talking heads had someone pick out their wardrobe for them ..."here, wear this today".

If that's the case, someone else is selecting your wardrobe. Since you don't what colors you will be wearing on air that day. The safe bet is to leave home wearing black socks.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prolly whoever is charged with choosing Matt Lauer's socks is thinking "WHO CARES"

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I've not noticed this. I watch the Today Show on Monday and Wednesday mornings and while he wears black socks often, he also wears other colors on a fairly regular basis. But that's just what i've seen, I haven't really paid good attention to it.

K-Man

Reaction score
Socks are one aspect of my wardrobe that I am some days less conservative about because you can control who sees them. On Friday I wore a pair of navy socks that had a discreet red windowpane pattern. Socks can be a good way to brighten up your work day or even bring a smile to a co-workers face if the situation is appropriate.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merckx
Nope. Everyone on air gets makeup/hair, that's it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
"someone has to ask the tough questions..."

I loathe her.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt Lauer has anyone dressing him. What I find interesting is that he spends so much time tweaking his wardrobe [he really wears clothes well], yet doesn't seem to pay that much attention to his socks though they are prominent anytime he sits down to interview someone.

Here's what I discovered today talking to, of all people, my wife. Lauer used to sell clothes at Mitchells, a high end store in CT. Jack Mitchell tells a story about Lauer being colour-blind and having to resort to tags on his personal clothing describing colour of each item. Garanimals for adults, if you will. How he sold other men clothing is a question to be answered another time perhaps, but maybe to him his socks match beautifully.

Yes Andy, you should send him a CD. Mention in the note that 12 guys spent a Saturday afternoon musing on his socks. He'll no doubt bring you on for a segment and you'll sell a million of them.

lefty

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people (even some of the best dressers) see value in sock simplicity and just like to wear only black or grey or navy socks. I remember one of the most senior members here saying that he only wears navy socks no matter the style or colors in his outfit. I know that Edouard Balladur who was French prime minister used to wear only red socks, an interesting contrast to his otherwise boring and conservative style (although always impeccable)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads