1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Lauer's socks.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lefty, Feb 17, 2007.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I've been catching up on a variety of news programs lately and while I think I have a handle on Tucker Carlson's tiny knots--his mother must tie them for him--Lauer's choice of black socks regardless of shoe, pant, shirt, tie or set colour confuses me.

Is black the media power sock?

lefty

2. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I had never noticed this, but perhaps it's just a function of having to awaken at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. every morning in order to appear on The Today Show. I would suppose that it would it be easier to only wear black socks rather than trying to match up your socks to your outfit every day at that time of the morning.

3. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

Many men who had military service wear black socks no matter what color their trousers. The military issued black socks for every color - khaki, navy, olive, etc.

So those who have served think that's the norm. I can't believe that Matt was in any military service, but maybe he learned sock etiquette from his father.

Anyone have his e-mail, I'll write to him and set him straight!![​IMG] Maybe I should mail him a copy of the CD-rom Encyclopedia of Mens' Clothes!

Andy

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

I had never noticed this, but perhaps it's just a function of having to awaken at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. every morning in order to appear on The Today Show. I would suppose that it would it be easier to only wear black socks rather than trying to match up your socks to your outfit every day at that time of the morning.

Lauer is a pretty well-dressed fellow. I can't imagine him failing at sock choice. He's making a choice, my question is why?

lefty

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Oh, man...I thought this was going to be some weird fetish thread. Whew! At any rate, I too have never noticed this, but it seems awfully boring to me.

6. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

I thought most of regular media talking heads had someone pick out their wardrobe for them ..."here, wear this today".

7. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I thought most of regular media talking heads had someone pick out their wardrobe for them ..."here, wear this today".

If that's the case, someone else is selecting your wardrobe. Since you don't what colors you will be wearing on air that day. The safe bet is to leave home wearing black socks.

8. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

Prolly whoever is charged with choosing Matt Lauer's socks is thinking "WHO CARES"

9. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

I've not noticed this. I watch the Today Show on Monday and Wednesday mornings and while he wears black socks often, he also wears other colors on a fairly regular basis. But that's just what i've seen, I haven't really paid good attention to it.

10. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

"someone has to ask the tough questions..."

11. K-Man

K-Man Member

Socks are one aspect of my wardrobe that I am some days less conservative about because you can control who sees them. On Friday I wore a pair of navy socks that had a discreet red windowpane pattern. Socks can be a good way to brighten up your work day or even bring a smile to a co-workers face if the situation is appropriate.

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Nope. Everyone on air gets makeup/hair, that's it.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

"someone has to ask the tough questions..."

I loathe her.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

I doubt Lauer has anyone dressing him. What I find interesting is that he spends so much time tweaking his wardrobe [he really wears clothes well], yet doesn't seem to pay that much attention to his socks though they are prominent anytime he sits down to interview someone.

Here's what I discovered today talking to, of all people, my wife. Lauer used to sell clothes at Mitchells, a high end store in CT. Jack Mitchell tells a story about Lauer being colour-blind and having to resort to tags on his personal clothing describing colour of each item. Garanimals for adults, if you will. How he sold other men clothing is a question to be answered another time perhaps, but maybe to him his socks match beautifully.

Yes Andy, you should send him a CD. Mention in the note that 12 guys spent a Saturday afternoon musing on his socks. He'll no doubt bring you on for a segment and you'll sell a million of them.

lefty

15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Some people (even some of the best dressers) see value in sock simplicity and just like to wear only black or grey or navy socks. I remember one of the most senior members here saying that he only wears navy socks no matter the style or colors in his outfit. I know that Edouard Balladur who was French prime minister used to wear only red socks, an interesting contrast to his otherwise boring and conservative style (although always impeccable)

16. spectre

spectre Senior member

I believe the socks could be navy blue, which I have moved towards a lot more. You'd be surprised how good they can look as a contrast instead of colour matching slavishly with pants. Navy blazer, suble blue/white striped or check shirt, solid navy tie and pale grey slacks with brown shoes and navy socks looks better, I think , than gray socks.

17. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Some people (even some of the best dressers) see value in sock simplicity and just like to wear only black or grey or navy socks. I remember one of the most senior members here saying that he only wears navy socks no matter the style or colors in his outfit. I know that Edouard Balladur who was French prime minister used to wear only red socks, an interesting contrast to his otherwise boring and conservative style (although always impeccable)
    If I could source like 100 pairs of high quality burgundy/deep dark red socks, that's all I would wear. I love that deep purpley wine color, and IMO it goes with everything, from dark to light clothing.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If I could source like 100 pairs of high quality burgundy/deep dark red socks, that's all I would wear. I love that deep purpley wine color, and IMO it goes with everything, from dark to light clothing.
    You could always try Gamarelli in Rome. This is one of the official tailors of the Vatican and where Balladur sourced his

19. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I confess that I've not noticed his socks particularly, but Lauer is without question one of the most consistently well dressed men on television. Roker has also been doing well. They've both been sporting fedoras on outdoor shots of late. Roker will bring out the seersucker come summer.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Could be my new 1080p TV which is bringing every detail to life.

Apparently, Lauer doesn't think himself that much a dandy.

TVWeek: What decides it's time to get rid of a suit? How many do you have, because it never seems like we're seeing lots of repeats?

Mr. Lauer: I'm not like some of these clothes horses. I probably have right now per season, winter, vs. summer, in the closet right now, 18 suits and 10 or 12 sports jackets. I'll tell you what dictates it: New York apartments. How much closet space can you have in a New York apartment? After a while something's got to give. Also, guys are different. Guys have navy, gray, brown and a plaid. That's what we wear. If you keep buying new suits, which we do, how many navy suits do you need? You get rid of the one that's four years old. There's a system, a method to my madness. I keep a pretty orderly life, which is good.

Note he didn't add black to his list of suit colours.

lefty