• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matisyahu

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
So, what dy'all think of this guy? I'm intrigued. Oddly. But intrigued nonetheless.

http://www.matisyahu.org/

I really like it. I just downloaded something off of his live recording from itunes. A hacidic (sp?) jew bustin out the rasta, how can you go wrong?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not really into it, seems kind of gimmicky.

I'd rather listen to real reggae. Or traditional Jewish music. Whatever that is...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen him live - very enjoyable.
Z

Mentos

Reaction score
He's great live. I think that you have to take him for what he is--rich kid from LI who happens to have listened to a lot of reggae and found god. But it's not a novelty act--he's very serious about his faith. I think that what has gotten lost about him in the major-label hype is that his demo is really young jewish kids. I don't think that he's got the chops to make his music more universal in that way that some spiritual adherents have been able. If you take him on the less expectant level, he's cool. The music is hit or miss.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
The first time I heard the music on tv, it was before he broke it into the mainstream. I missed the comceral that had the name of the artist. All I knew was I like the short clip that thecomcerial. I caught it later and was like WTF is this. But then the local radio station started to play "King Without A Crow," and I started to dig him. I was really pissed that I had class the one night he came to the local concert venue by my house, The Starland Ballroom. I'll see him live sometime.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the CD. Engaging, but not particularly special. The Idea of a Hasidic Reggae dude is the most intriguing thing, and his, um, "fusion" reggae is interesting, but doesn't hold my interest for more than a couple of songs.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"King Without a Crown" reasonably pretty and has a nice texture to it, but like LAG said, nothing earth shattering.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing this thread back to say that MATISYAHU SUCKS. TERRIBLE. DO NOT BUY THIS CD.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, but wouldn't it have been just as effective to leave the thread in the "Matisyahu, we hardly knew you" dead file?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, but after listening to the CD I became infuriated. I just don't want anyone to have the same misfortune. If only one life is saved, then the resurrection is justified.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Perhaps, but after listening to the CD I became infuriated. I just don't want anyone to have the same misfortune. If only one life is saved, then the resurrection is justified.

Which album?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
King Without a Crown
censored.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads