Material for braces?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Sep 14, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I saw somewhere that the traditional material for braces is actually catgut, which ages in a certain way. That aside, what is the preferred material for these? Is nylon as good as anything else?

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Leather.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Catgut and leather would be for the ends. For the actual braces, barathea in the summer and boxcloth in the winter for me. Silk is also an option.

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Any recommendations for sources?

I thought people here recommended Albert Thurston, but the ones on STP are nylon.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I've found buying from their website (www.albertthurston.com) the easiest method to procure Thurston braces, which are top notch.

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I've found buying from their website (www.albertthurston.com) the easiest method to procure Thurston braces, which are top notch.

You know, I've picked up a couple of pairs of thurston suspenders from STP, and found that while the patterns are terrific, the ends, if they're leather, are certainly some sort of corrected-grain or plasticized variety (brooks brothers braces have better-quality ends); and that the elastic at the back seems to deteriorate alarmingly fast. I suppose it's possible that they're from some sort of diffusion line, but the boxes said Albert Thurston, and STP listed the retail price at $80 $90, so that doesn't seem overwhelmingly likely.

Anyway, just to say I've been a little disappointed with the construction quality of the AT suspenders I've picked up. I probably wouldn't rush out to buy more sight-unseen.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have never had a pair of Thurstons give out, at any point. I wonder if what you have are not really Thurstons. The real things are practically indestructible. And I have never seen any corrected grain or treated leather ends, either.

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I have never had a pair of Thurstons give out, at any point. I wonder if what you have are not really Thurstons. The real things are practically indestructible. And I have never seen any corrected grain or treated leather ends, either.

I'm prepared to entertain that possibility, but I have a hard time believing that STP would do such a thing.

9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm prepared to entertain that possibility, but I have a hard time believing that STP would do such a thing.

The CEO is on AAAC as 'bracemaker' from time to time. Suggest you message him and ask directly.

I also have trouble believing the Thurston would use corrected grain unless it was a special order for a store that had its own reason.

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've got over a dozen pair of Thurston braces, some as old as twenty years, and one pair has ever given out on me. I have the barethas in basically every solid color I seen available. None of them have corrected grain or what i would describe as inferior leather.

To further illustrate thier quality, I wear a suit with braces everyday to work so they have had years of continuous use.

To reiterate Will's comment above, "bracemaker" is a wondeful fellow. He will (and has) happily accepted my custom requests in terms of the type of tabs and hardware I want at no additional charge.

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I've got over a dozen pair of Thurston braces, some as old as twenty years, and one pair has ever given out on me. I have the barethas in basically every solid color I seen available. None of them have corrected grain or what i would describe as inferior leather.

To further illustrate thier quality, I wear a suit with braces everyday to work so they have had years of continuous use.

To reiterate Will's comment above, "bracemaker" is a wondeful fellow. He will (and has) happily accepted my custom requests in terms of the type of tabs and hardware I want at no additional charge.

I've sent bracemaker a PM. Hopefully he won't take offense.

12. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I thought you favored synthetic fibers for braces?

13. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Aportnoy: Solid color braces are the best to center your wardrobe around?

14. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I would say that they are

15. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

For certain, IMHO.

I have these Thurston colors:

navy
    hunter
    burgundy
    khaki
    olive
    gold
    purple
    robin's egg blue
    orange
    silver