• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Material for Bespoke suit

eshvk

Reaction score
All,
I live in SF. I am planning to go to India on a vacation. I heard of a great tailor in India who makes bespoke suits. I believe their top of the line suit comes to $2K. I wanted to figure out if I could maybe buy the material here in SF (or possibly online) before I go there so that would make things cheaper.

Can anyone recommend me a possible shop? Material recommendations would also be extremely welcome.

Thanks!

ddsg

Reaction score
The only easily accessible fabric sellers I know of are British-fabrics on eBay and Harrisons Burley. Both are based in the UK and sell quality fabric at pretty decent prices. British-fabrics is one guy who does the run of the different mills in England buying end of line fabric bolts and then flips them on Ebay. Harrisons Burley are a mill in the UK that sells directly to the to the public.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nishan22

Reaction score
Many of the top Indian tailors will not work on material that is not purchased from them. As tailoring costs are so low, they typically make their margin on the cloth they sell. The top end guys do carry dormeuil, loro piana, etc.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many of the top Indian tailors will not work on material that is not purchased from them. As tailoring costs are so low, they typically make their margin on the cloth they sell. The top end guys do carry dormeuil, loro piana, etc.

Agree and indeed why should they?

How many "top Indian tailors" exist there are few here with decent reports so take care those you call good and those who actually are good.

nishan22

Reaction score
True - only really two - Syed Bawkher and Vaish are the only ones. They are very good for the price point.

eshvk

Reaction score
True - only really two - Syed Bawkher and Vaish are the only ones. They are very good for the price point.
Hi nishan22,
So the taylor I am planning to hit up is Syed Bawkher. I have heard good stories about them.. Would you happen to know they only use their own in house material ?

H Modi

Reaction score
Yes, they only use in-house material and they carry some of the top brand names across the world. They have a tradition which spans some 100 years and many celebrities and top executives frequent their shop, not to mention anyone who wants a wedding suit to be stitched. One stop shop. I know as some of my clothes are made there. You can visit their website www.syedbawkher.com

Last edited:

XFactor

Reaction score

Yes, they only use in-house material and they carry some of the top brand names across the world. They have a tradition which spans some 100 years and many celebrities and top executives frequent their shop, not to mention anyone who wants a wedding suit to be stitched. One stop shop. I know as some of my clothes are made there. You can visit their website www.syedbawkher.com

Any ideas if they have Fresco, Finmeresco and Crispaire? What would they charge for a suit on that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads