1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Material for Bespoke suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by eshvk, Mar 26, 2013.

1. eshvk

eshvk Member

All,
    I live in SF. I am planning to go to India on a vacation. I heard of a great tailor in India who makes bespoke suits. I believe their top of the line suit comes to $2K. I wanted to figure out if I could maybe buy the material here in SF (or possibly online) before I go there so that would make things cheaper.

Can anyone recommend me a possible shop? Material recommendations would also be extremely welcome.

Thanks!

2. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

The only easily accessible fabric sellers I know of are British-fabrics on eBay and Harrisons Burley. Both are based in the UK and sell quality fabric at pretty decent prices. British-fabrics is one guy who does the run of the different mills in England buying end of line fabric bolts and then flips them on Ebay. Harrisons Burley are a mill in the UK that sells directly to the to the public.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

4. nishan22

nishan22 Active Member

Many of the top Indian tailors will not work on material that is not purchased from them. As tailoring costs are so low, they typically make their margin on the cloth they sell. The top end guys do carry dormeuil, loro piana, etc.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

Agree and indeed why should they?

How many "top Indian tailors" exist there are few here with decent reports so take care those you call good and those who actually are good.

6. nishan22

nishan22 Active Member

True - only really two - Syed Bawkher and Vaish are the only ones. They are very good for the price point.

7. eshvk

eshvk Member

Hi nishan22,
    So the taylor I am planning to hit up is Syed Bawkher. I have heard good stories about them.. Would you happen to know they only use their own in house material ?

8. H Modi

H Modi Member

Yes, they only use in-house material and they carry some of the top brand names across the world. They have a tradition which spans some 100 years and many celebrities and top executives frequent their shop, not to mention anyone who wants a wedding suit to be stitched. One stop shop. I know as some of my clothes are made there. You can visit their website www.syedbawkher.com

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  9. XFactor

XFactor Senior member

Any ideas if they have Fresco, Finmeresco and Crispaire? What would they charge for a suit on that?