• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching Whiskey Shell Cordovan

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Matching Whiskey shell cordovan

Okay. It's a cross-post, but different opinions are sought.

I'd like to ask opinions on a specific belt. This is the only photo from the web site of The Belt Man.
horse2lg.jpg

http://thebeltman.net/horse.htm

The natural undyed horse hide belt would seem a pretty nice match. The question regards their use of black stitching and black edge dressing. The buckle, of course, can be brass, nickel or black.

If one is thinking of this as a suit belt to pair with whiskey shell shoes, does this stitching stand out as inappropriate, or does it disappear/stay below the radar? I would chose the square brass buckle.

I've asked them if they would do a version with light/non-contrast stitching, but they are reticent. They like the contrast, especially with the black buckle. I would, too, for jeans, but am uncertain as a dress belt.

Obviously, I'm not after an exact match, but a light/natural color belt, horse hide (but not shell) no less, would seem a decent pairing for my new Alden NST Whiskey shells.

It's also a reasonable price for what appears to be very well constructed belts.

Advice is requested. Thanks.

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Thanks for that link, M.P.. I had read that, but when I found this belt above, it made me wonder if it might serve for a dress/suit match with the new shoes.

To put a fine point on it, nothing can match whiskey shell except a whiskey shell belt from the exact same batch of leather. That ain't gonna happen, or if it did, the price would be nearly half the cost of a new pair of shell shoes. So... that ain't gonna happen.

I also don't want to match tooo much (justified by the prohibitive nature of trying), but getting close might be good. The question is what color/type of dress belt is appropriate to match with whiskey shell shoes? The undyed/natural sample, the obvious top/left of the above, would seem to provide a reasonable option.

But that is my question. Does it? Does the contrast stitching/edging make this too informal to wear as a dress belt with suits? Would the belt stand out too much? Is it better to go with just a tan dress belt and be done with it?

I also get the impression that IF other people looking for a match with whiskey shell shoes like this possible option, but would also like less contrasting stitching/edging, then this maker MIGHT (stress only "might") oblige. His response was that a one-off only didn't really seem worth the efforts required to obtain light stitch thread, etc., but multiple orders might be worth it.

So, would the contrast stitching and black edge dressing of the above belt be in/appropriate as a dress belt with whiskey shell shoes?

Would anyone else be interested?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a light tan belt for my whiskey shoes. I wouldn't wear those in the pics above.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a whiskey shell cordovan belt

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Wow! That "tan" doesn't look anywhere near a Whiskey color. I'm not able to spend shell cordovan cash on belts. I have a family to support. But, I guess I get it that no one sees this undyed horse hide as an acceptable pairing. I'm a bit perplexed, but I bow to the tide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics