Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Matching watch band to belt and shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Is it a fashion faux pas not to match the color of a leather watch band to the color of a belt and shoes?  I was thinking about buying a dress tank watch with a brown leather band and wanted to know if I should switch the band to a black leather one to match the color of the shoes and belt I generally wear.  Alternatively, I was also thinking about switching the band to a deep blue, which would seem to go with both brown and black and match the blue-gray-black palette of most of my clothing.

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

C:

Not matching the leather in your watchband isn't really a fashion faux pas, like not matching belt and shoes, but matching all three leathers shows a great sense of style and attention to detail.

I do it, but tend to be obsessed about these things.

3. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Matching watch band to belt and shoes is one of those "fussy" things that, while it obviously works, is also unnecessary. I do think a blue band eliminates any sense of a brown/black mismatch. I have a dark green alligator band that does essentially the same thing. Nonetheless, it's not a horrible faux pas to wear a brown watch band with black belt and shoes.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't change the strap, have more than one watch: white gold (or silver colored) with black strap as elegant, gold with tan leather as dress/casual and a Swatch with multi colored strap as very casual. Why restrict yourself to only one watch?

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The particular watch I have in mind is a stainless steel JLC Reverso Duo.  The only way I can rationalize spending $3000+ (at the pre-owned or grey market price, no less) for this watch is the thought that I would be getting "two watches for the price of one" -- white dial up with a tan ostrich strap for casual and black dial up with a black crocodile strap for dress.  I have heard, however, that changing watch straps is a chore in general and a significant chore for JLCs.  So I was thinking about what color strap would give me the greatest versatility.