• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Matching skin tone/color to overcoats

cmd06

Reaction score
I'm trying to diversify my overcoat collection but am unsure on what new colors look good on my olive-tan skin.

Although some follow the color seasons when buying suits and such, I can't search for any threads/posts on here on coordinating skin tone with an overcoat. Since that is often what people see first, do the same color season rules apply to overcoats - especially when tan/beige/khaki are such popular alternatives to dark overcoats?

I am a winter complexion and of Persian + Indian descent. I look similar to this guy:

For winter skin, (in Color for Men by Carole Jackson) I'm advised to avoid beige, orange and gold.

Can buying a classic tan balmacaan (single breasted raincoat) or camel hair polo have the effect of washing me out? The only non-dark overcoat that would look good on me is a stone white khaki shade but apparently that's too feminine a color..

Do these Indian police in their khaki uniforms look bad? Thanks in advance for any input.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
You're a winter?

Does that really matter if you're a winter or a summer or an autumn or whatever?

In my opinion, you should buy what you want.

Please read this story I posted in another thread:

15.) A late 20s guy walked in one day and said he needed a shirt and tie to wear with his black (!!!) suit for a wedding this weekend. He said his girlfriend told him he looks good in red because--and this is where it got stupid--he's a "winter" (or was he a "summer" . . . ?)

Anyways . . . for the purpose of recounting this tale, let's just say he was a "winter" . . .

. . . so, he said his girlfriend told him to get a red shirt and red tie because that colour would look good on him.

Personally, I never understood this thing about people being a winter or a summer . . . it's all horsehit as far as I'm concerned; it's all crap designed to sell more makeup to women, I think.

So, buddy said to me, "Yeah, she told me red is a good colour for me because she says I'm a winter."

Good for you, buddy.

"Don't you agree it'd look good on me?" he asked me.

What the hell was he asking me this for? It was quite obvious he'd be buying that colour no matter what I'd say.

I said to him very politely, "Personally, sir, I never understood all this stuff about people being a winter or a summer or what have you. I buy whatever colours I like simply because I know what I like but I don't mind listening to, and taking into consideration, the advice and suggestions of friends and acquaintances but, when all is said and done, I am the one who's wearing it and therefore it should be my decision."

That was a hint for buddy.

He looked at me, puzzled. "You don't know about winters and summers?"

"No, not really."

"Well, I don't think you should be working in fashion then. How can you help your customers if you don't know that?"

"I do just fine, sir. I've been doing this long enough to know my customers like what I do for them in matters of dress and I do, if I may say, dress well enough not to solicit strange looks from people."

He was not convinced. "Well, you really should read up on this stuff. It would be of benefit to you."

Whatever, buddy.

"Will you be going with this red shirt and red tie, sir?"

"Do you think they would look good on me?"

"Do you really need to ask me that? Your girlfriend told you what looks good on you. Isn't that enough?"

"Well, what would you pick for me instead?"

I showed him some options, mostly blues and greys.

"Oh. I don't like those at all. I don't think they would look good on me."

"I think you should buy what you like."

"Well, isn't your job to advise customers what would look good on them?"

"You told me I don't know what I'm doing. Why would I want to contradict myself with someone who's already told you what would look good on you and who's already told you what to buy?"

Silence.

I keyed in the sale and he left.

A few days later (the morning of the wedding), buddy came walking into the store carrying the bag with his red shirt and red tie in it.

"Hello," I greeted him.

"Um, I took the shirt and tie home and tried them on and my girlfriend told me the colour doesn't look good on me."

THERE IS A GOD.

"Oh, really?" I said, trying to sound surprised. I did my best to hide my glee.

"Yeah. She said it doesnt' look good on me at all."

"Did she say what colour WOULD look good on you?"

No answer.

"Could you help me pick out something? I need to be at the wedding in two hours."

I showed him the same light blue shirt and black/grey/blue paisley tie from last time.

"I like those. Okay. I'll take those."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

I exchanged the shirt and tie for him and he left.

He didn't come back the next day to say the shirt and tie didn't look good on him.

Oligarch

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the Indian policemen are exactly posterboys for good dress sense, but khaki is a color that is probably India's most famous export. It works well on a range of complexions, so you should certainly try it out. Personally, I love true, rich khaki.

I'd echo the comment above about wearing what you like and feel comfortable as well -- I'm on the darker side, and constantly hearing things about bolder colors being best suited to dark skin tones, yet wear lots of light blue shirts which I get compliments on.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
You're a winter?

Does that really matter if you're a winter or a summer or an autumn or whatever?

15.) A late 20s guy walked in one day and said he needed a shirt and tie to wear with his black (!!!) suit for a wedding this weekend. He said his girlfriend told him he looks good in red because--and this is where it got stupid--he's a "winter" (or was he a "summer" . . . ?)

Anyways . . . for the purpose of recounting this tale, let's just say he was a "winter" . . .

. . . so, he said his girlfriend told him to get a red shirt and red tie because that colour would look good on him.

Personally, I never understood this thing about people being a winter or a summer . . . it's all horsehit as far as I'm concerned; it's all crap designed to sell more makeup to women, I think.

So, buddy said to me, "Yeah, she told me red is a good colour for me because she says I'm a winter."

Good for you, buddy.

"Don't you agree it'd look good on me?" he asked me.

What the hell was he asking me this for? It was quite obvious he'd be buying that colour no matter what I'd say.

I said to him very politely, "Personally, sir, I never understood all this stuff about people being a winter or a summer or what have you. I buy whatever colours I like simply because I know what I like but I don't mind listening to, and taking into consideration, the advice and suggestions of friends and acquaintances but, when all is said and done, I am the one who's wearing it and therefore it should be my decision."

That was a hint for buddy.

He looked at me, puzzled. "You don't know about winters and summers?"

"No, not really."

"Well, I don't think you should be working in fashion then. How can you help your customers if you don't know that?"

"I do just fine, sir. I've been doing this long enough to know my customers like what I do for them in matters of dress and I do, if I may say, dress well enough not to solicit strange looks from people."

He was not convinced. "Well, you really should read up on this stuff. It would be of benefit to you."

Whatever, buddy.

"Do you think they would look good on me?"

"Do you really need to ask me that? Your girlfriend told you what looks good on you. Isn't that enough?"

"Well, what would you pick for me instead?"

I showed him some options, mostly blues and greys.

"Oh. I don't like those at all. I don't think they would look good on me."

"I think you should buy what you like."

"Well, isn't your job to advise customers what would look good on them?"

"You told me I don't know what I'm doing. Why would I want to contradict myself with someone who's already told you what would look good on you and who's already told you what to buy?"

Silence.

I keyed in the sale and he left.

A few days later (the morning of the wedding), buddy came walking into the store carrying the bag with his red shirt and red tie in it.

"Hello," I greeted him.

"Um, I took the shirt and tie home and tried them on and my girlfriend told me the colour doesn't look good on me."

THERE IS A GOD.

"Oh, really?" I said, trying to sound surprised. I did my best to hide my glee.

"Yeah. She said it doesnt' look good on me at all."

"Did she say what colour WOULD look good on you?"

No answer.

"Could you help me pick out something? I need to be at the wedding in two hours."

I showed him the same light blue shirt and black/grey/blue paisley tie from last time.

"I like those. Okay. I'll take those."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

I exchanged the shirt and tie for him and he left.

He didn't come back the next day to say the shirt and tie didn't look good on him.

Costanza

Reaction score
You're a winter?

<snip the hysterical story about abstractions trumping perception, and then finally losing in the end>

Isn't the simplest thing to do to just try on things of different color and keep track of what highlights the man and what doesn't? My rule is to ask the question, "Do I see me or the clothing first?"

ktrp

Reaction score
Clearly, most people have some colours on them that work better then others. Whether the 'season' model is a good one for many or most people or whether the average gf is capable of applying the model correctly I can't say. From the little I remember of the model, it is very rare that it would say 'where red'. Everything is a matter of shade.

Back to the original point, I don't see why stone white khaki would look feminine on you. If you look like a woman in a pale trenchcoat, you might want to consider physique/hairstyle/bearing/footwear.

cmd06

Reaction score
You're a winter?

Wow, you're the first person I've seen on SF outright reject seasonal color analysis.

I could've sworn I had conversation with someone in the psychology department about research on human behavior with mating and asserting dominance based on visual appearances, and they supported Carole Jackson's works. Then again, that professor now works for a marketing firm so it could be BS as far as I know.

Even before I read books on the subject, I've always thought orange and beige shirts looked terrible on me.

Note: seasonal color analysis only emphasizes certain colors close to your face, so only items like shirts and ties would matter, not pants and such.

cmd06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Explain to me again how you got the indian police in this thread?

Their facial skin tone is closest to mine (at least the North Indian/fair-skinned ones), and their uniforms are primarily khaki in color.

If they looked bad, then I would further extend that line of reasoning to me too.

cmd06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
Back to the original point, I don't see why stone white khaki would look feminine on you. If you look like a woman in a pale trenchcoat, you might want to consider physique/hairstyle/bearing/footwear.

Lol, no it has more to do with my peers and what they construe as masculine colors. Part of my reasons for dressing well is the psychology of authority, professionalism, and group/firm culture in cities like Atlanta, Chicago, and Houston.

The overcoats I posted pics of had the classic, typical medium shades of khaki. Wearing stone white khaki chinos is one thing, wearing it as an overcoat is another.

If I wore a fuschia colored shirt, that too would be regarded as feminine irrespective of "physique/hairstyle/bearing/footwear."

The color Burberry calls "trench" on its website is too light for where I work imo. Its "honey" color is more line with what would be appropriate.

ykurtz

Reaction score
Consider dark olive or hues of green similar to olive. Should work well with your described skin color/tone.

MS13

Reaction score
Wear a grey one. Winters can wear most greys and it's conservative and masculine enough for anyone not to 'worry'. That would be your best bet. And I disagree, most people do NOT look good in khaki. I'm one of them.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 63 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 120 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 17.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 7.2%