Matching shoes and belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slimjohnson13, Jul 29, 2006.

1. slimjohnson13

slimjohnson13 Member

I just picked up a great pair of suede loafers in a tan/khacki color. I have a belt which is brown in color, a true to slightly light-ish brown. The question is: I know that one's shoes are to match one's belt. Can I get by with tan shoes and a brown belt? Or do I need to get a belt closer to the color and tone of the shoes? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2. Flame

Flame Senior member

If the color is a lighter brown, like cognac or chestnut, rather than oak or burgundy, by all means please do. Having the exact shade stink of over-fussiness anyways.

3. lifersfc

lifersfc Senior member

where did you pick up the loafers? i've been looking for some of these myself...

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

The only purpose of the rule to match belt and shoes is to break it often.

5. Roger

Roger Senior member

There was a thread very recently on matching belts to suede shoes. In it, I suggested that the more critical dimension on which to match was texture, and that one's best bet in such circumstances is to get a suede belt. So that'd be my advice here. Try to find a sand or light brown suede belt. The color doesn't have to match exactly, but, in my opinion, you should try to get as close as you can.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

The color doesn't have to match exactly, but, in my opinion, you should try to get as close as you can.

I concur, especially when wearing a suit, but less restrictive when matching for casual wear.

7. slimjohnson13

slimjohnson13 Member

I picked up the shoes at Banana Republic. They were $158 and I got them for $45--so I had to buy them. There may be some still online or in local stores.