Matching pocket square color for two-tone tie, difficult!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by richrich, Apr 3, 2013.

1. richrich

richrich New Member

Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions on a pocket square to match the Red version of this Hugo Boss tie?

I was hoping to pick something from the Tie Bar here. Wasn't sure if wine/eggplant/charcoal would work?

The base is a white shirt/dark navy suit.

thanks

2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Here's my approach: if I don't know what square to wear, I reach for an off-white silk and wear it in a puff. One less thing to worry about -- doesn't matter what else I have on.

You could do the same with white linen, but some will call that too stark. There are some who think a white linen square with a white shirt is a terrible idea. I think it's a venal sin at worst.

3. bwald

bwald New Member

Your square doesn't have to (and arguably shouldn't) match your tie perfectly. Any kind of burgundy would work fine, or any other colors in the tie (like the eggplant or charcoal you mentioned). A white linen, or even better a beige/light grey/cream/off-white/whatever silk square to match your shirt would also work. Additionally, if your suit has any checks or stripes, you could match your square to the colors in that.

It really doesn't matter that much, as long as it matches/compliments something else in your outfit. Don't over-think it.

4. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

solid colour square that match one of the tie colours.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Pocket squares need not be one block colour. Explore patterns and textures as well as colours. A muted tie can get along with a semi-flashy pocket square without the two fighting. Welcome to Styleforum richrich.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

This is generally a bad idea. Other than cream silk, solid pocket squares usually don't work.

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member