• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching Outfits, Bad Idea?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need to become the dominant top in the relationship. Pounding him into submission is your only recourse.

Always Suited

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
You need to become the dominant top in the relationship. Pounding him into submission is your only recourse.
I could never be violent and I am not a top either. The suits are ivory colored.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Always Suited
I could never be violent and I am not a top either. The suits are ivory colored.

He was joking.

My contribution to this is a bit late, but: in my current, extremely successful 12-year relationship, my wife and I have found that comprimise is both good and necessary, but not at the expense of one's own identity. We are still two seperate people. Indulge your boyfriend now and again, but don't lose yourself in the process.

Always Suited

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
He was joking.

My contribution to this is a bit late, but: in my current, extremely successful 12-year relationship, my wife and I have found that comprimise is both good and necessary, but not at the expense of one's own identity. We are still two seperate people. Indulge your boyfriend now and again, but don't lose yourself in the process.

That is why I am going along with it. This is only the 3 time in the last few months.
Other than we often wear the same tie to the office, but as we work for different companies no one sees that. He thinks it is romantic.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is why I am going along with it. This is only the 3 time in the last few months. Other than we often wear the same tie to the office, but as we work for different companies no one sees that. He thinks it is romantic.
I find it amusing that last month we were hearing about how this was a first-time thing, and would remain at most an occasional indulgence -- but now it's been three times in the last few months. Which I assume means three instances in which you wore fully matched outfits together in public, on top of the frequent occasions on which you have worn identical ties in public, albeit in separate locations. I can't imagine that this behavioral dynamic affects only your wardrobe. I'll say it again: stop capitulating and start insisting upon your own individuality. If your partner is worth his salt, he'll respect you more for it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
I can't imagine that this behavioral dynamic affects only your wardrobe..

ar11901256662916.jpg

Courtesy of Teacher

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My partner bought us matching suits/ties etc for Easter.

How does someone buy you a suit without some input from you? Wouldn't you have to make an appearance at the store for alterations, at least?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
I can't imagine that this behavioral dynamic affects only your wardrobe. I'll say it again: stop capitulating and start insisting upon your own individuality. If your partner is worth his salt, he'll respect you more for it.
I think this is a good point worth considering.

Always Suited

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
How does someone buy you a suit without some input from you? Wouldn't you have to make an appearance at the store for alterations, at least?
He has my size and measurements. The first time he took one of my suits to compare. The suits all needed some alteration.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To each his own. The nature of your relationship both mildly amuses and vaguely disturbs me. I'm still not convinced you aren't making this **** up. I of course am quite guilible. This thread needs some pics to pump up the believability factor; please consider posting something of you two in full matching regalia. You may, of course, remain anonymous through the use of clever face-disguising techniques.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a commencement last year at an urban university. I noticed two sets of couples dressed in the same color. One set was wearing gray where the lady had a hat that matched her gray dress. The gentleman was wearing a gray suit and matching shoes. Either on his or her own would not have been noticed, but together they looked, well....

The worse of the two couples were in lime green. Both she and he wore lime green suits with matching shoes. The suits most likely were hand made as the fabric seemed to be identical. They looked awful.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
This thread needs some pics to pump up the believability factor; please consider posting something of you two in full matching regalia.

I'd like to see pics, too.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night at church I noticed an older couple with the exact same color of obviously-dyed reddish gray hair. It reminded me of two things: Jerry Stiller as Frank Costanza and this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads