• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching Leather Bag with Belt/Shoes Necessary?

Pylon

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a messenger bag for my commute to and from work (I take the transit bus, and also walk a little bit). I usually wear a suit, but I'm wondering if I get a brown leather messenger bag if that restricts me from wearing it when I'm suited up with black shoes and belt? Will it look tacky? Does it violate some sacred sartorial rule?

On a side note about the choice of the bag itself, does anybody have thoughts on the following bag?
http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?cr=999999&pr=3659

I'm trying to stay under $200 for my first bag purchase, so any other suggestions are welcome.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Nah. I never change my bag. I carry a Custom Hide 1945 in whiskey no matter what else I'm wearing. We've had this discussion before, I think the general consensus is that nobody worries about matching their bag.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few bags, but the truth is, I only use one. And it is a lighter brown color. It is my favorite by far. I carry it even when I wear black shoes and a black belt.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally, I like to go with GENERAL matching... meaning if my outfit is black/white/gray using a black bag and colors usually something brownish, but it's nothing that you should worry about.

Get the bag you like the best and it will work out a lot better than one that "matches" but you aren't thrilled with.

yo!

Reaction score
I have two bags, one in brown and one in black. I will match with my shoes/belt however this is only because I can't afford new shoes yet and I am forced to use a pair of black shoes. Once this changes I will only need the brown one.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one dark brown soft briefcase that I carry daily, regardless of the color of belt and shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads