• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching laptop bag with shoes?

CSantos

Reaction score
I have read elsewhere that one must match one's bag with one's shoes, especially if they are both leather; brown leather bag, brown shoes, etc.

I am trying to avoid getting two bags, since I have both black and brown leather shoes. I am a recently graduated designer (product), so we can get away with to a certain extent, casual dressy clothing to interviews (tie, dress shirts, dress shoes, dress slacks, no suit), but we carry laptops (to present our digital work) to every interview and also notebooks, portfolio etc.

I just need a bag to fit a 13 inch Macbook. I was thinking of getting a grey wool bag like this one:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hex-woo...ferralID=112d5715-a061-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0

Instead of leather, I thought a grey wool would give an air of classy without looking too dressy but not too casual either... and also it would probably match both brown and black dress shoes, without having to buy leather bags to match my shoes.

Any feedback? Much appreciated, Thank you!

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
That looks like a nice bag, especially for interviews and presentations when you want their attention on the work, not what you're wearing. If you like the bag, then go for it.

(That said, it's not really true that your bag should match your shoes. After all, most men have a lot more shoes than briefcases, and the shoes can't all be the same color.)

CSantos

Reaction score
Really Makoto?

I always assumed you had to match your leathers (I know for sure that does apply to belts and shoes). But I am sure some break the briefcase leather matching rule and they can get away with it, but I do agree: it would be extremely excessive (and expensive) to have a bag for each type of leather shoe.

Thanks for chiming in.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
At least the same sort of colour 'family' when it comes to leathers - although your bag isn't leather I'd say it's fine but here's here's my 2 cents on that issue.

I think it's fine for someone to wear tan shoes with a brown bag but if you've decided to wear green suede shoes it's ok not to desperately hunt for a green suede bag - after all who wants to look that matchy-matchy? As long as they go with each other - seeing as brown and black notoriously don't go together I would avoid carrying a black leather bag with brown shoes but if you felt like wearing brown shoes and carrying an oxblood bag it'd be totally acceptable. (IMHO)

Seeing as your bag isn't leather though I really wouldn't worry about it - nice choice btw.

Maybe think of it like a tie and pocket square when it comes to leathers - don't let them match (although in this case matching is fine I suppose!) but let them pick each other up colourwise.

Last edited:

CSantos

Reaction score
Oxblood bag? Wow, I had to look that one up! :) I guess I am still behind on the terms or I am just American.

But you do make sense in that matching some things completely isn't necessary, as long as they are in the same color family. That I do remember my mother teaching me as a boy.

I just had an idea: when I googled around I found a bag that had both brown and black trim. Maybe this would work or something similar that I can find that would match both black and brown shoes. http://www.vogueshopsonline.com/burberry-mens-dualuse-canvas-large-tote-bag-oxblood-p-132.html (of course, not THAT bag in particular, as it is hideous), but the same color scheme?

If not, do you like that wool bag (grey I know for sure matches both brown and black shoes) or does it look too casual with dress shoes because of the canvas strap?

Thanks!

viator

Reaction score
You absolutely do not need to worry about matching your briefcase to your shoes and belt. It is not a purse. The bag you chose looks nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Oxblood just refers to deep red/brown leather - often it's called burgundy (someone might argue this but let's not get caught up in semantics) but I just like the name 'Oxblood'! As I said - I like the bag and I'd say it's a pretty versatile choice, grey goes with pretty much everything so you really can't go wrong. IMO go for a single colour versatile bag rather than a half and half (That Burberry thing is a monstrosity...) - the bag is nice and will do you just fine. One thing I do resent about this forum as viator brought up is that perhaps we put waaay too much thought into choices that nobody but ourselves notices!

And if anybody criticises the formality of your outfit based on the strap of your bag; use it to strangle them...

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have read elsewhere that one must match one's bag with one's shoes, especially if they are both leather; brown leather bag, brown shoes, etc.

PurseForum?

CSantos

Reaction score
Ha! You got me. I am a closet transvestite. ;)

No, seriously, I thought that was really a rule; probably got that from some men's style guide. Also, I just assumed since you don't mix leathers with regards to belts and shoes (and watch straps), it also applied to bags.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Especially true if you are a woman or woman trapped in a mans body.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am trying to avoid getting two bags, since I have both black and brown leather shoes.  I am a recently graduated designer (product), so we can get away with to a certain extent, casual dressy clothing to interviews (tie, dress shirts, dress shoes, dress slacks, no suit), but we carry laptops (to present our digital work) to every interview and also notebooks, portfolio etc. 

I just need a bag to fit a 13 inch Macbook. I was thinking of getting a grey wool bag like this one: 
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hex-woo...ferralID=112d5715-a061-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0

Instead of leather, I thought a grey wool would give an air of classy without looking too dressy but not too casual either... and also it would probably match both brown and black dress shoes, without having to buy leather bags to match my shoes. 

Any feedback?  Much appreciated, Thank you!

I don't much like black shoes, so my take is: if you don't have to wear a suit, why not just wear brown shoes all the time? Then you can get a brown leather bag (vintage Coach is good) and be just as matched as pie.

larryO

Reaction score
I think that a natural leather could be a nice compromise. Just a thought...

Matching a bag colour to shoes and belt gets pretty complicated, although the Oxblook suggestion is a stroke of genius. Dark Navy might also be nice, dependent on your wardrobe...

In my opinion heather grey wool is very nice on small bags like the one you linked. It makes it look crisp. I'd be wary of pilling though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads