Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Matching belts with shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Jul 16, 2002.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I recently bought a pair of brown shoes. I've had a hard time finding a matching belt. I have found one somewhat close, however it's a little bit darker. Do they have to be an exact match?

Thanks

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

I have that problem too. What you have to do is take the shoes around to all your favorite stores and ask the salesmen and women for help. They are normally really helpful. But you have to take the shoes to do it, otherwise you'll never get a proper match.

3. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

That's what I do. Most of the brown belts I saw were much darker than the shoes. I thought I had come as close as I was going to get. When I got home I started having doubts about the color of the belt I bought.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think the match belt and shoes has to be, or even should be, an exact one. It's more a question of combining like with like. After all, belt and shoes are separated by some 3 or 4 feet (depending on the length of your legs). Also the color of your shoes is likely to change. Through wear and polish, lighter shoes are bound to get darker (or acquire patina), while a belt, who might get a bit of polish once in a blue moon and is not exposed to the weather, stays more or less the same.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree with Bengal-Stripe, who wrote: I don't think the match belt and shoes has to be, or even should be, an exact one. Matching belt and shoe colors is a little too fussy, too Niles Crane like, if you take my meaning.

(I think that Glenn O'Brien and Alan Flusser have also said prety much the same thing, if you want to hear it from a style authority.)