• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching accessories

amooninthewell

Reaction score
For a wedding. If my bow tie, pocket square, lapel pin and vest are all of a red shade (not matching). Would it look ok or too silly. (Fyi light grey suit + white shirt)

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

AStylishHo

Reaction score
Are you getting married? If so congratulations!
For a wedding, I would advise to match everything in shade and texture, however with that said there is visual distances from the accesories, I don't believe people will realize straight away -- Assuming they are close in shade.

starro

Reaction score
For a wedding. If my bow tie, pocket square, lapel pin and vest are all of a red shade (not matching). Would it look ok or too silly. (Fyi light grey suit + white shirt)

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Very nontraditional. And tbh conjures up the image of a clueless kid at his prom.

If you're going for attire on the formal side (which I don't think you are, with the light grey suit), then I would suggest:
1. Pocket square should complement (not match) the shirt, not the tie
2. Lapel pin imo really has no place at an event of this formality. A flower boutonniere, with the stem cut for the buttonhole loop in the back of lapel, is the way to go.
3. Vest should be as close to the color of the pants as possible.

amooninthewell

Reaction score
Thank you for your honesties. When I said lapel pin I meant boutiniere(didnt know what it was called). I agree the look may be non traditional and may end up looking funny. But I figured I wanted to go a little on the adventurous side since I'm in the younger bracket. Call me immature, but I enjoy standing out though not in a silly way if possible.

seejulius

Reaction score
Thank you for your honesties. When I said lapel pin I meant boutiniere(didnt know what it was called). I agree the look may be non traditional and may end up looking funny. But I figured I wanted to go a little on the adventurous side since I'm in the younger bracket. Call me immature, but I enjoy standing out though not in a silly way if possible.

congrats, first and foremost!
`
I would say make that sure that all 3 pieces match before adding accessories because the last thing you want is the color palette to be all over the place. Once they are all match, go crazy with the accessories just make sure all of the metals match from the boutonniere clip, pocket watch, shoe buckle, etc.

starro

Reaction score

I understand where you're coming from, but right now your get up is silly and ridiculous. Most SFers try to stand out in a more subtle way, with understated good taste rather than outright gaudiness. I think this rule of thumb is very helpful: Have only one accessory that grabs attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads