• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching a tie with this shirt...

dietcookie

Reaction score
What kind of tie would go along good with this shirt here? I bought it a while ago and have only worn it without a tie. The pattern and color is so bold, I was reluctant to go out and find a tie for it. I've been trying to keep an eye out for a tie that would go along but have never found anything anyways. So I have to consult all you fashion savvy guys here...
tashirt.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the first color that came to mind was silver. i suppose the easy answer would be blue, to pick up on the stripes. good luck.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
for some reason I like this one, although Carlo Franco has a couple that would compliment in more and less exciting ways:
cft07catalog5tu.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd personally go with something bright like a striped tie with pink or blue, it's not like that shirt is going to be really subtle anyways. J Crew makes a repp tie that may work for that purpose.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Navy would be good - loud tie/loud shirt is very hard to carry off... Not that I have anything against either
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
solid dark blue or gray.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
A solid colored grenadine to give textural interest, but act as a counter to the bold stripes. I think it's a great shirt.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shirt -- this is why I'm now looking more for T&A on EBay than Borrelli. I'd pair it with solid navy or navy with white dots. A royal blue would work as well, but would be less subtle. Add a blue blazer and you'll be all set. Not more stripes.

johnw86

Reaction score
Unless I'm reading the colors wrong, I'd try a solid baby blue with a smooth finish; if that weren't an option, I'd look for a baby blue with a very small, subtle pattern.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongest recommendation is the dark blue, plain or maybe with very subtle "dots" (not closely spaced polka dots though) in a complimentary color, but more likely in plain with a textured weave. I actually have a tie that would be perfect for it (but I'm going to keep it). I'm not a huge fan of grenadine ties, but that's not your only option for texture of course.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon-

As usual great choices and great matching. Oh yeah, wonderful shameless self-promotion.

For me, I would go with either # 1 or # 5 as first choices.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon- ... Â Oh yeah, wonderful shameless self-promotion. For me, I would go with either # 1 or # 5 as first choices.
Damn...Cant get ANYTHING by you lawyers...
devil.gif
For those that are not on the ball here, 5 is actually 4 as I removed number three as the edit suggests.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon- As usual great choices and great matching. Â Oh yeah, wonderful shameless self-promotion. For me, I would go with either # 1 or # 5 as first choices.
A friend commented that it wasnt really Shameless self promotion since I didnt include the links to my site. He is right and you should all know that it was merely an oversight... Â
devil.gif
Here goes... (Now THATS shameless) Solid Blue Repp Weave Solid Blue Weave Blue and Grey Weave Navy Polka Dot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads