Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Matching a tie to a shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Mike

Mike Senior member

I recently picked up a beige/khaki colored french cuff shirt for near nothing.  I was wonder what color ties would look good with it. Also would it go well with a navy jacket or should I stick with more earth tone jackets?  Thanks.

2. GatorStyle

GatorStyle Senior member

I think that shirt gives you lots of options with tie and jacket, depending upon how dark its shade is.  I have a Joseph Abboud shirt like that, and I find it to be really versatile.  For example, a diagonally striped tie with a beige/tan/khaki-like color as one of the stripes would work.  A solid, silk black tie would work fine, in a military-style kind of way.  Ties with various earth-toned colors/patterns/stripes could work, depending upon shades.  If the shirt is light enough (almost manila, or like an off-white), you have even more options.

As to jacket, it again depends on shade.  Black jacket would work.  Dark navy, too.  Lots of earth-toned jackets could work, too, and this may be a perfect opportunity to use that brown or olive suit that's otherwise hard to match colors with.

3. Mike

Mike Senior member

the shirt is kind of a mid beige/khaki/tan.  Not really light but not extremely dark either.  If this helps with more sugestions, keep 'em comin'.  Thanks Gator Style for the ones already posted though. I got some great ideas from them