• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching a shirt with my tie

Jonesy26

Reaction score
Gday. First time poster, just need a little advice. I've got a formal (I'm not sure where most of you guys are from, so I'll say it's the Australian equivalent of a Prom, a bit different though) coming up. Picked up a black suit and some shoes. Got a tie as well, I'm not sure if I like it all that much, but yeah. I still need a shirt, and I'm wondering what colour shirts would go with it. And whether to go a thin stripe or just plain? Here's a couple pictures of the tie (don't mind the shirt, it was just a random one of mine hanging up at the time I took the pictures):

img1865nd.jpg

img1859jc.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The pictures aren't showing up.
2. If its really like a prom/ball then i would have thought a black bowtie and white marcella shirt would be the standard option?

Jonesy26

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. I realised and then had to go off and do something. Hope this works: http://img59.imageshack.us/i/img1859jc.jpg/ http://img683.imageshack.us/i/img1865nd.jpg/ Edit: sorry, you'll have to click the links - it goes way too massive when I put them on here and I can't be bothered/don't have time to resize. And nah, in Australia I guess its sort of a bit different. Most people wear ties, only a few, if any bowties. A lot of people go with white shirts, but quite a few go with coloured shirts. It's a bit more relaxed than what I gather proms are, but still formal gear.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a white shirt with a bowtie, and make sure the suit is tailored to fit you well. You will look good.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylekid
Have you ever tried a jumper with shirt trim? Its makes the whole process easier I think, in the UK we have a brand called Peter Werth who are a great example but i'm sure you can find alike clothing from brands and shops where you are, if you take a look you should see a couple, my personal favourite is the one at the top in the grey and purple. See that way you still look very smart and like your wearing two pieces of expensive clothing when its just a jumper with a collar! Simple and Smart
biggrin.gif

That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I would say white only because it goes with just about everything and not being able to see the pics I cannot honestly suggest anything else at the moment.

Contango

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jonesy26
And nah, in Australia I guess its sort of a bit different. Most people wear ties, only a few, if any bowties. A lot of people go with white shirts, but quite a few go with coloured shirts. It's a bit more relaxed than what I gather proms are, but still formal gear.

At public schools in the western suburbs, perhaps.

It's not that long ago since I was going to school formals, and they were strictly black-tie affairs.

Except for the muppet at mine with a frilly blue shirt. These days I've been told he's forgone shirts and takes his family to naturalist colonies, but I digress.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylekid
Have you ever tried a jumper with shirt trim? Its makes the whole process easier I think, in the UK we have a brand called Peter Werth who are a great example but i'm sure you can find alike clothing from brands and shops where you are, if you take a look you should see a couple, my personal favourite is the one at the top in the grey and purple. See that way you still look very smart and like your wearing two pieces of expensive clothing when its just a jumper with a collar! Simple and Smart
biggrin.gif

You're describing a dickey and they've been around for more than 100 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics