• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Match suit separates together?

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
What I'm trying to say from the title of the post, has anyone matched suit separates together so that it looks like it's part of the same suit? This question is more directed to black coloured suits for instance a tuxedo, but also for cream to white coloured suits. Is it possible to be stylish with this approach? I ask this because I can see some really nice Lutwyche (former Chester Barrie manufacturers) tuxedo jackets, and may want my own tuxedo outfit. I know Lutwyche trousers do not fit my frame at all so that's why I'm looking for different routes.

I understand that you would want the same type of fabrics, patterns, texture, weaves and all that.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general I would avoid trying to make things that are not constituent suits look like they are. It's unlikely to work.

There is an Italian concept called spezzato - using suit separates together. I think this usually looks quite bad, but when done it's usually pieces that are obviously different, not trying to create a suit by camouflage.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
So I've found a really well-made tuxedo jacket at a bargain price. The jacket has a midnight blue body with subtle black pattern in the background. It has black lapels. Really soft fabrics. What I'm trying to research online is whether it's possible to make the outfit work from a separate tuxedo jacket.

I'm thinking white tuxedo dress slacks would be a great way of dealing with this. But since I live further up and don't deal with hot weather particularly that often, I may think it'll look out of place. I could try black tuxedo trousers with the silk strip on the sides, but I wonder whether it'd be noticeable to see the black being different from the jacket to the trousers.

Is it possible to get this to work? The suit jacket is of fine wool.

The attached image, is not the exact jacket I've mentioned earlier, but for visualisation sake, it looks sort of like this:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

papado

Reaction score
You can wear a navy blue tuxedo jacket with black tuxedo pants which didn't originally come together--it's more helpful if the side strip silk is the same texture (satin/grosgrain/etc) but can probably work either way.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
You can wear a navy blue tuxedo jacket with black tuxedo pants which didn't originally come together--it's more helpful if the side strip silk is the same texture (satin/grosgrain/etc) but can probably work either way.

Thank you for replying. Well when researching right now, it seems like the jacket that I'm looking at is technically considered a dinner jacket. Especially because the lapels are the same material as the jacket.

Some threads I have come across and other guides online are below:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The chances of Perfectly matching two unrelated garments in feel/texture/color and tone is second to none, in a context like this wearing a jacket thats an obviously different color, like a plain ivory jacket or a velvet textured one would work better then mismatching black on black

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads