• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Masterchef

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone watch it? I realize that it's a bit lowbrow for the SF foodies, but watching Gordon Ramsay and friends eviscerate amateur cooks makes oddly compelling television. After watching last night's episode, I think the fix is in for Whitney.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Anyone watch it? I realize that it's a bit lowbrow for the SF foodies, but watching Gordon Ramsay and friends eviscerate amateur cooks makes oddly compelling television. After watching last night's episode, I think the fix is in for Whitney.

She'd get it.

It is rather poorly produced (think Hell's Kitchen) and the challenges are not terribly interesting. However it is entertaining when they get ripped apart by the judges, and even more when they actually receive praise for a well thought out and executed dish. It's pretty impressive seeing every day people make some fairly decent stuff on such a mass market type show.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
The show is like Hell's Kitchen in that is so ridiculously overproduced. It's more game show than cooking show (which may be appropriate). From the blaring suspense music to constant cliffhangers, it's gets to be too much. I can watch one episode at a time, but certainly not back to back.

Still, some cuties on there.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be good, but it has a lot of problems. Like:

1. They should cut it down to an hour.

2. Also what is up with them only trying three of the things in the beginning?

3. Their criticism is often mean-spirited without any constructive aspects, especially that bald dude. He is always going on about "what we are trying to do here" - wtf does that mean anyway?

4. In the ingredient identification challenge, they should tell you everything else at the end that nobody identified.

5. I am not sure how the prelims went, but there was still too much diversity of experience coming in. Some people were just totally outclassed.

and so on... I'd rather they had just used the Top Chef format instead.

office drone

Reaction score
It is 2 hours, but at least they have 2 rounds of elimination.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
It's pretty impressive seeing every day people make some fairly decent stuff on such a mass market type show.

It helps when you're given recipes to follow.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.

LOL, I didn't realize that. I've only ever really watched the beginning challenges and the way end with the judges tasting. That realization makes the accomplishment much less impressive.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
And what do you think professional cooks do for a living?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Make their own recipes and sell cookbooks, duh.

Those are Chefs, duh!

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't have the same glamor.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
It wouldn't have the same glamor.

I agree, Masterchef has so much punch in the title. It instantly makes me thing "gourmet" and "classy". I will DVR all the epsiodes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.