• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Massive sunburn…

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I fell asleep on the beach on Sunday before putting on sunscreen and well, I'm really burned, I look like an extra on Attack of the Killer Red Tomatoes; my skin really hurts. Any recommendations as to what I can do to lessen the pain / make the red disappear faster?

Jon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First things first: be VERY careful you don't end up with sunstroke. Have you been feeling antsy, finding it hard to sleep and feeling feverish? Hopefully not. Anyway, calamine lotion helps sooth the burning. Up your water intake, too, to be on the safe side. Aloe vera lotions can help sooth it. If it looks like it is more than a superficial burn, have your doctor look at it just in case.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bummer, that sucks.

Keep the burned skin moisturized with Eucerin. Aloe vera is nice but be sure not to get a kind that has alcohol in it. Drink lots of water. Use sunblock on the new skin after it peels/heals.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Beach? You jerk, it's 38 degrees here today
plain.gif

But I'd definitely get some calamine and some aloe lotions. And a chick to help you apply it.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This spring on a cruise in the caribbean I was in the sun for 10hrs without sunblock (don't ask why) and got the worst sunburn of my life, I was swollen all over, couldn't put my shoes on, my body was eminating heat, and nearly my entire body peeled. In fact I still have the tanlines from that day...

The only thing that helped was loading on the aloe but it wasn't a cure for the redness, just a way to keep the skin moisturized which you need to do at that point. It also contains vitamin E which is supposed to help the skin. If there is itching Benedryl may work. The redness didn't diappear until around 6 days later which was the point the peeling started.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
The Beach? You jerk, it's 38 degrees here today
plain.gif

But I'd definitely get some calamine and some aloe lotions. And a chick to help you apply it.

Oh, I brought sunscreen and a chick (who "˜just wants to be friends', damn it) to apply it...but we feel asleep at the beach. Her sunburn is beneath her face, whereas mine is wholly visible. I'm currently applying "˜Solarcaine' which is Aloe Gel with Lidocaine HCI but it has 0.06% alcohol.

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's not enough alcohol to worry about. Probably a good choice, but be sure whatever you use to keep the area moisturized.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
That's not enough alcohol to worry about. Probably a good choice, but be sure whatever you use to keep the area moisturized.

It says to apply a max 4 times a day and that's what I'm doing, plus whenever I'm home, I take a nice, long, cold shower.

Jon.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
When I used to get really bad sunburns when I was a pale computer nerd I'd draw a hot bath, get it loaded with tea (dark, but apparently green works even better), let it cool to around body temp, and have a good soak.

It helps a lot with the pain, and takes a bit of the redness away.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel for you - I am very careful to stay out of the sun after a few bad expereinces like that.

mwrenchd

Reaction score
When I was on my honeymoon in Croatia lst year, I got a nasty bright red sunburn on my back. I forget the Croatian word for it now, but my host gave me what I later came to find out was St. John's Wort oil. It really speeded up the healing for me, and was mostly fine in 2 days with no peeling.

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
So, I fell asleep on the beach on Sunday before putting on sunscreen and well, I'm really burned, I look like an extra on Attack of the Killer Red Tomatoes; my skin really hurts. Any recommendations as to what I can do to lessen the pain / make the red disappear faster?

Jon.

Maybe if you would have been driving around in a "Hummer" this wouldnt have happened to you
lol8[1].gif

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I'll stick to my 06' Audi, thanks.

Jon.

I hope a A6 or A8 (The W12 would be ideal)
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads