Massdrop x Styleforum x Panta Madder Tie GMTO (official collaboration)

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by brillopad, Aug 12, 2015.

Tags:

From which fabrics would you be interested in making a tie? See swatches below.

Poll closed Aug 20, 2015.
  1. A1

15 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. A2

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. A3

15 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. A4

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. A5

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. A6

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. A7

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. A8

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. A9

20 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. A10

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. A11

25 vote(s)
    18.9%
  12. A12

12 vote(s)
    9.1%
  13. A13

33 vote(s)
    25.0%
  14. A14

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  15. A15

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  16. A16

16 vote(s)
    12.1%
  17. B1

24 vote(s)
    18.2%
  18. B2

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  19. B3

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  20. B4

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  21. B5

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  22. B6

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  23. B7

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  24. B8

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  25. B9

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  26. B10

28 vote(s)
    21.2%
  27. B11

15 vote(s)
    11.4%
  28. B12

63 vote(s)
    47.7%
  29. B13

21 vote(s)
    15.9%
  30. B14

39 vote(s)
    29.5%
  31. B15

12 vote(s)
    9.1%
  32. B16

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. brillopad

brillopad Senior member

FWIW, the ratio of 9cm to 8cm is now almost to 1:1. I think a lot of that is because the Styleforum crowd had the first crack at the orders, and then the Massdrop crowd placed theirs (and their tastes are probably a bit more modern-leaning compared to SF MC).

2. angelescrest

angelescrest Senior member

So I'm not the best with ties, can someone help me pick out a color? I have a Birdseye navy (slightly lighter navy) wool Sienna suit from Suitsupply, a Navy gold button blazer, a brown pinstriped sport coat, black and camel corduroy sport coats, an English wool navy Jcrew sport coat, a medium grey Dior suit, and a Khaki linen BB suit.

I try to layer a lot with cardigans, sweaters, etc. in our cold winters and want to wear more ties with that combination along with my oxfords--I don't suit up too often for work, as I'm in the university setting. I'm thinking of the rust color, but honestly I have no clue. Is this a good tie for sport coats? I have a number of darker ties, but nothing in brown, rust, or green. I want something versatile, but it seems to me these ties would work well if I had a lot of earth tones, tweeds, etc., but I don't. Help a brother out...I love the look of this tie, but the hues are ones that I can't say I'm too experienced with. I'd get several, but I've dropped way to much on my wardrobe this year. I have a lot of blue but good grief I need to branch out.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

3. Salad

Salad Senior member

The whole 8 vs 9 thing has got me second guessing. Usually, I go w/ 8 because that's what I'm used to. I'm thinking of going w/ 9 for this tie to see how I like it.
    I went back and measured a few of my Panta's and the silk slubs measure almost 3.5". The cashmere is 3.25". I think both were described as 8cm when I bought them so material probably plays a part as far as true measurements. Maybe due to stretch? My guess is these ties, because they are silk, will be closer to true to size.
    I don't know. Maybe I'll stick to 8. First world problems.

4. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Your instincts are on the money. Rust and Green, you can't go wrong really and are both very versatile- except maybe with the black/camel SCs which are odd things in general.

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Based on your wardrobe (and if you stay around here long enough you'l probably wind up changing items like the brown pinstripe sportcoat and the black cord sportcoat), I would suggest getting the brown as the first choice and one of the two rusts as a second choice.

The raw silk ties were made by a different maker and I had those made to 3.5 inches. Not sure which cashmere you mean but it would probably have been sold as 3 3/8. I don't recall ever doing 8cm cashmere ties (except for the ones currently on the site), but I could be wrong. Cashmere, being a bit thicker, will depend on how much you want to press it down when measuring to get an exact measurement.

These ties with Massdrop, the directive will be to keep the tolerance on the width as tight as possible. So that an 8 cm is 8cm. But, keep in mind that these are human hands sewing and pressing (200+ ties now) so if you take a caliper to them, you will find one that is 8.1cm, one that is 7.9cm etc.

6. sladejw

sladejw Active Member

I'm in for a navy. 9/147

7. angelescrest

angelescrest Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah you've identified the items in my wardrobe that have been around too long. I've donated a ton of items this summer, and those need to go as well. So if we are just talking about the Navy jackets and various knitwear, you think the brown would work better than the rust? As another said, first world problems...

8. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

I think rust or green would be most versatile with the wardrobe you described.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

For a business environment, the burgundy would have been a perfect contrast to both *sigh*. Brown or green are nice, but I'd say for just one, go with the rust, either pattern, or the light blue direct from Panta at the same price.

10. mosivy

mosivy Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can hold back much longer. I'm really tempted to go for the rust and green ties with large motifs. The designs are beautiful.

11. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Well, 250 ties have now been ordered. @brillopad , did we meet your expectations?

@edmorel , we aren't going to break your operation, are we?

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I might be interested in a burgundy neat if it had that same dry hand. @mimo

---

@Darkside, if you end up with second thoughts about your 9 and I my 8, we can trade. But I suspect we'll both be happy.

13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

With more than 200 orders we'll need a dedicated WAYWRN thread ...

Cheers,

Ac

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@edmorel

How about a contest: who wears their massdrop Panta best? Winner gets a humbler.

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

If you guys come up with some contest, I'll do like a 3 pack of ties (cashmere, silk, whatever) to the winner.