• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Massdrop x Carmina Semi-Brogue Oxford

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I recently went to Spain and bought a pair of Carmina Chelsea boots on the Inca last. I love them and they are my favorite shoes now.

I want these but is the rain last similar enough to the inca for sizing purposes?

Good afternoon Ricosoltero, Inca and Rain are very similar. Which size did you purchase for the Carmina Chelsea Boots?

Johnny Lai

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just joined the drop for these shoes in brown. Any idea what color polish would be appropriate for these?

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also received a pair of these to try out for a few weeks, and, like @Elessar, mine were too big. Although I didn't get to wear them around, I am very familiar with Carmina and the Rain last as I own a number of these. I really can't provide much more to offer than what Elessar mentioned regarding these specific Adelaide oxfords, but I can add and perhaps reemphasize the following:
  • Most folks typically take their standard US size and go down one for the Rain last. For example, I typically wear a size US8d in most normal-fitting lasts, so I would wear a UK7 in the Rain last. Having said that, everyone's foot is different and I've also seen others go down a half size so that, as in the example above, a US8d would be a UK6.5. I have gone back and forth between sizing in the Rain last - UK7 and UK6.5. Given my foot shape, the UK7 is slightly wide in my heel (I have a narrower heel), fits good in width at the forefoot, and is good in length, while the UK6.5 is perfect in my heel (no slippage), perhaps ever so slightly narrow in the forefoot width, and still okay/good in length. So, I go back and forth depending on the leather and shoe.
  • I have said this in other threads, but, in my opinion, Carmina still offers some of the very best shoes for the price - even at $450 for calf. Their last shapes, leather quality, and finishing is superb! Given that the Massdrop price is for $350 and includes shoe trees and J. Rendenbach oak bark tanned leather soles, this deal is simply unbeatable in my opinion.
  • In addition to Carmina, I own shoes from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Yanko, Carlos Santos, and most recently Vass, among others. Notwithstanding the price, I would rate them from best to "worst" (none of these are bad whatsoever) quality as (1) Vass, (2) Carmina, (3) Alden, (4) Yanko, (5) Allen Edmonds and Carlos Santos (tie or slight edge to AE). I personally believe that after Vass the next group of Carmina, Alden, and Yanko are very close in quality. Carmina and Yanko are easy to compare given their location and history, and I would say the following about comparing those: the calf leather quality is very comparable perhaps with a very slight edge to Carmina, the finishing is very comparable again maybe with a slight edge to Carmina, the Carmina suede is more nappy and soft but Yanko's suede is not bad by any means, and both have solid lasts although Carmina has a much broader range. When you factor the normal pricing for these, as I've said in other threads, in my opinion it's very difficult to beat Yanko right now. I absolutely love Yanko for the price as, in my opinion, Yanko is very close to Carmina in quality. However, given the $350 price and extras as mentioned above, there's no doubt in my mind that Carmina is first on this list when it comes to value! The price on these is simply awesome!
Feel free to ask me any questions as well.
Awesome review very well written.

Dd1101

Reaction score
Hi, I wear a 9.5uk in CJ on the 341 and 335 last. 10.5 us in all AEs.

I assume 10.5 US on the rain last should be correct.

By the way this will be my first Carminas

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI Canadian's pay $27.99 for shipping and can expect customs/duties as well. So probably another $100USD on the $350USD purchase price.

Not fully convinced on the bargain of this deal in that case.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Canadian's pay $27.99 for shipping and can expect customs/duties as well. So probably another $100USD on the $350USD purchase price.

Not fully convinced on the bargain of this deal in that case.
It's possibly not as great a deal as in the States, but it's still less expensive than at Canadian stockists. At well known Canadian stockists, the shipping within Canada is $20CAD with $80 HST to top of $600 CAD retail. That translates into $518 using current exchange rates. Even with the numbers that you estimate above, which are on the high end, the total comes to $477.99 USD, which is a considerably savings compared to $518. Of course, ymmv.

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
I'd love to get these, but I am also put off by potential import duties/taxes.

Canadian duties will most likely be higher than USD $105 . For shoes it is 18% duties on converted price using carrier's exchange rate at the time of import + HST (13%) or 14.975 % (GST+PST if you are in QC) + carrier's handling fees ($10-15) + HST or GST/PST on the handling fees.

Also keep in mind that USD/CAD exchange rate can change drastically (due to unpredictable dude in WH) when these shoes are shipped.

Elessar

Reaction score
So I did a bit of an experiment with the samples I got. I wanted to see how much of a difference I could create with creams and waxes, so I did an applied patina / fake distressing with what I had. I can definitely say that the shoe looks and feels very different now. So if you're not a fan of a plain brown shoe, this can definitely be made to look more "interesting" if that's your thing. The effects can be more or less subtle than what I'm showing in these photos, just work more or less with darker colored creams depending on your preference. I did not go for a mirror shine, instead opting for a medium-high shine overall with slightly higher shine on the toe box.

Photos follow, taken in different lights--direct sunlight as well as ambient natural light. Straight from phone camera, no filters / post processing.

I would repeat that I feel that not only are these a great value for money, but they are also offered in multiple widths including the narrower width (which I haven't seen in the wild honestly), and that I personally see these as being very versatile. Then again, most SFers would know more about dressing well, so that opinion is of course up to you. :)

2017-05-17 06.36.21.jpg 2017-05-17 07.02.07-1.jpg 2017-05-17 07.10.59.jpg 2017-05-17 07.13.05.jpg 2017-05-17 07.20.44.jpg 2017-05-17 07.26.58.jpg

2017-05-17 07.29.30.jpg

2017-05-17 08.51.03.jpg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get these, but I am also put off by potential import duties/taxes.

Canadian duties will most likely be higher than USD $105 . For shoes it is 18% duties on converted price using carrier's exchange rate at the time of import + HST (13%) or 14.975 % (GST+PST if you are in QC) + carrier's handling fees ($10-15) + HST or GST/PST on the handling fees.

Also keep in mind that USD/CAD exchange rate can change drastically (due to unpredictable dude in WH) when these shoes are shipped.

Canadian members - I can proxy for you....PM for details!

Calf_Machine

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for awhile now, finally decided to pull the trigger on some shoes after being enticed by the MassdropxCarmina drop. However, even after an embarrassingly long time spent reading on the forum, I'm confused by the sizing offered on these and hoping someone can help. I'm getting some conflicting info from Massdrop, Carmina, and my current AE sizing.

For reference, here are my measurements:
Length: 25.8 cm
Width: 10.5 cm (245mm circumference)
Brannock measurement: 8.5E

I sent my measurements to Betty at Carmina and she's suggesting a size 7UK in standard fitting (EE). However, in the AE 511 last I fit a 8.5E (D is too narrow at pinky toe), and if I size up in length I get heel slip in my slightly shorter right foot. My understanding from reading the sizing threads is that 511 tends to be a bit wide to begin with. My measurements suggest I go with "E" width (US) as do most sizing charts as well, so I'm hesitant to follow her suggestion.

Do you think the standard Rain width is enough to accommodate a US E width foot? My gut is saying to go with 8E or 8.5E for the Massdrop order, but I would appreciate any insights into the matter. Thank you for being awesome!

Binh

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Is this shoe a square toe? I read some where that square toe look cheap. Could anyone clarify it for me. Thanks you.

Nemesis_4

Reaction score
Guys this is an amazing deal- just joined the drop! I have the captoe in the rain last and it is an amazing shoe.

Just for anyone still on the fence - for sizing purposes: I wear a US6 in Alden's plain toe blucher (ever so slightly roomy), AE Park Ave US7 (well fitted), and a US6 in Carmina's Rain last (which is perfectly fitted for me)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads