Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Massdrop - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brillopad, Dec 19, 2015.

1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I screwed up the sizing on my British bridle belt. Damn JCrew vanity sizing!

Does anyone need a navy calf belt in size 36?

I guess I really needed a 38.

2. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

They do send emails daily with all the featured drops, even on weekends. I dont know if you can change the frequency. Its never really bothered me that much cause I usually enjoy seeing whats there even if I dont buy (like I said I've bought 4-5 items).

3. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

Why not do what most people do? Open a gmail or other free account devoted to things like this.

I never use my main e-mail for such stuff.

Cheers,

Ac

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

[email protected]

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Gonna sign you up for some spam now.

6. rbhan12

rbhan12 Distinguished Member

If you use a gmail account, Google should automatically filter the daily emails from MassDrop in your promotions tab, such that it doesn't clog your inbox. This way I can see what sales are ongoing from MassDrop and other retailers at my own pace as opposed to constant notifications of emails.

The only emails from MassDrop that go to my inbox are the updates on a particular drop, saying it has shipped, processing, etc.

7. brillopad

brillopad Senior Member

These are two totally fair (and common) questions. Fortunately, I have answers to both of them!

1. Regarding the private, members-only platform: I feel you about not wanting to sign up for yet another thing, but here's why we do it. As you've probably seen or heard, we're selling things at very low prices because we can use the size of the buying group to do so. Most retailers have a 'minimum advertised price' or MAP policy, which regulates the lowest price their goods can be sold at. By making our site only viewable to logged-in members, we are able to list products at great prices that would not be feasible if the site were public. It's sort of like if you've ever seen a product online or in a paper that says 'call for price', except all you have to do is create an account. If we made our site open to the public, our selection of products would be much worse. Also, you can always customize/opt out of email if you want (although a lot of things sell out, so getting notifications is pretty helpful). Here's our FAQ page on the topic, if that helps.

2. Regarding MSRP: Again, I hear where you're coming from. There certainly can be a difference between MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) and the "street price," so to speak, which is what you're referring to. For instance, the price of a Seiko would probably be different if you bought it in a nice jewelry store instead of online via Amazon. And since you and other folks here on styleforum are pretty deal-saavy, you know where to look to get the best price (moreso than the average consumer). That said, the MSRP is a constant value whereas the cheapest online price can vary wildly, so for that reason we use the MSRP as a benchmark. Also, when you factor in different countries (we sell things all over the world), the concept of a 'best price' becomes impossible to ascertain. So MSRP, even though it's not always the cheapest price for everyone, is a constant.

Hope that helps! Happy to expand on these points as needed.

8. mosy

mosy Distinguished Member

Good answers.

I would add to number 2 that it seems to be that the "drop" prices are usually lower than even the lowest commonly available "street" price. In your example, if a Seiko watch has an MSRP of $300, the street price (let's say Amazon) might be $180, and the drop price is $150. So it's still usually the best available price.

9. brillopad

brillopad Senior Member

Yep, totally - we're committed to offering the best price. If we can't beat the lowest price out there (Amazon etc), we won't even bother offering it because you'd be better off getting it from a different source. Every now and then an Amazon price robot will make an adjustment and get the better of us, but outside of rare things like that, we'll be the best price out there!

10. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

I agree. I just use email a lot for my job so I try to steer clear of it when I am off the clock. I do use a separate account for online merchants and such - would just prefer not to have to check the account very often.

At any rate, I did sign up for Massdrop so I'll keep an eye out for anything interest that may come along.

11. doomx

doomx Senior Member

How is the Venetian balm compared to AE conditioner or AE cream?

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

...and is it the same as VSC? I've heard this before but unsubstantiated.

13. brillopad

brillopad Senior Member

Yep, same as VSC.

I haven't used the AE conditioner in a few years so it's hard to make a direct comparison, but I do like VSC, especially for shell. I'd say I split between VSC and Saphir Reno about 50/50.

14. brillopad

brillopad Senior Member

Ok guys, some random thoughts:

1. What brands or products would you love to see Massdrop collaborate with? I'd love to get some thoughts on things that you'd love to see on the site - popular products that everyone loves, things that are hard to get or a bit too pricey, or made-to-order runs of something you've dreamt up.

2. Or, another way to think about it: what are some products that you think are good, but just need a little tweak to be perfect? Often, when we have enough interest in a product, it allows us to make changes to cater to what the community wants. Or perhaps it's a product that used to be available in past seasons but is no longer around? Massdrop has leveraged its communities to help bring things back into existence, so just thought I'd start that conversation as well.

3. I threw some Superga 2750s up on the site this afternoon. I don't know if the folks in MC are into these, but they've been my go-to sneaker for a while. Just a heads up.

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Would love to see some Rogue Territory denim on the site. Maybe sperry gold cups.