1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Masking Large Feet?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Xman11815, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Xman11815

Xman11815 Well-Known Member

I wear a size 12 and am only 5'10,155. Just about everything I wear looks big on me but certain boots/sneakers really accentuate them. Probally not the best idea to wear tapered jeans but anything that is baggy in the calf looks horrible on my frame so I don't want to go that route.

What are the best options for me in terms of sneakers/boots? Lowtops over hi's?

2. Xman11815

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Wow. I would go for wider pants and less elongated shoe lasts..

4. Xman11815

What type of pants can I wear that are looser without looking like shit?

It just doesn't look right with denim at all when they arent tapered in my calfs. Looks so sloppy

5. malcb33

malcb33 Senior member

I don't know if SuperBoBo's suggestions are really going to work with your current SLP look, so you might have to either suck it up or look towards another aesthetic

6. EdwardB

EdwardB Senior member

I've been struggling with this for years and I definitely sympathize with the denim issue.

The two posters above are correct. You should go a little looser and you're gonna have to modify your aesthetic a little bit. Material-wise, you're not going to be able to wear denim. I've had pretty good luck with wool or like...jersey/athletic type material. Slightly more refined fabric that drapes a lot better than denim. Something like this should be pretty easy to find. Alternatively, you could try for a slim denim style made out of synthetic material. I know Outlier does something like this, but I don't have any hands-on experience. Definitely worth a shot though.

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Yea, I think a slighty different look would be easier, something with straight wool/drill pants. Like Howell/MHL, but that is a personal preference. Basically, dont get tight jeans and long/tapered boots..

8. Xman11815

Thanks for the help guys.

Damn gonna be hard for me to really change my aesthetic though. All of my clothing at the moment fits like the pics I showed. I live in AZ and am wearing a t shirt 75% of the year so don't know what other options I really have in terms of a different style that will be able to stand the heat. These boots are definetly the worst. When I wear denim and MM gats for example it's still noticeable but not nearly as bad.

9. Xman11815

10. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Senior member

doesn't look too bad. I mean yeah its obvious you have big feet, but it doesn't look terrible.

consider experimenting with cropped pants and jeans, it might help balance out your sillouette. as of now the stacking is only bringing more attention to your feet.

tbh i'm actually a little jealous. my feet are short and wide. they are at once petite and awkward, a parody of feet. you clomp into rooms authoritatively.

11. Xman11815

ya true about the stacking. ill try looking for some cropped jeans. do they fit like skinny jeans or should i want them to fit looser?

12. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Your feet aren't that disproportionate to your body. I'm 6 ft and a size 12 and I've never given it a thought. Along with the other suggestions, you can wear slightly tapered jeans (no need for boot cut). But go with a regular straight cut or slim straight rather than skinny. Also, go for slim black shoes rather than brown (and especially not White). A slim casual derby style laceup should work.

13. soband

soband Active Member

what about boots with thicker soles, maybe combat boots? The way your boots get narrow and sleek towards the toe I think really exaggerates the length of your foot.

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

QFT

I'm 6'1" and between a US 12 and a US 13 btw.

15. tenx82

tenx82 New Member

Registered just to follow this thread.

OP, I fee your pain. I wear size 11.5 and am 5'10", 150lbs. I've worn 31/32 slim fit bootcut jeans (levis 527, bke fulton/carter) with thick-soled boots or bulky shoes (nike shox) for a very long time and have hated feeling forced into a certain style. I wear a uniform 6 days a week and hadn't really shopped in quite a while so I've been looking for ideas for more modern styles and found this thread.

I've been out shopping and trying new fits a few times now. Two things I found very quickly regarding our build type.
    (not a fashion guru, this is simply my experience/suggestion)
    IMO, pants with any taper make my feet look HUGE with any shoe. Try a regular straight leg in a lighter weight denim.
    Second, any shoe without laces, or without any padding (chucks, etc.), make my feet look HUGE with any pants fit. Try the adidas NEO Daily Shoes. I absolutely love them (the SE Daily Vulc in particular. I even wear shorts now because of this shoe).

Side note regarding your t-shirt in the pic: I searched for years trying to find good, plain t-shirts. Tried everything I could find from $1-30 each. I found these Starter Training Fit tees about a year ago for $5 each and they fit absolutely perfect in size Small. They're fairly heavy weight and hold up unexpectedly well.

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Meh you like fine IMO, I'd rather wear the clothes I want and look like I have (slightly) big feet than wear junk I don't want because I'm embarrassed about my feet, of all things.

Just memorize a witty quip for every potential comment and cycle through them when anyone says anything about your feet. For example "wow those are big boots!" "Shut up your ears are too big for your face, you spunkbubble."

1 person likes this.
  17. Card

Card Member

I have the same problem (5'11'' size 12-13 shoes.)

Helps to have a detail that breaks the shoe up like a toecap or brogues.

Also stuff like the white toecaps on chucks look like clown shoes, but when i got monochrome ones they were fine.

And some stuff, like chunky doc martens is probably just a bad idea period (plus i got tired of kicking around 9 lbs of boot)

18. Xman11815

Thanks boss. What is it about those adidas in particular that you feels makes them good for big feet.

Regarding the t shirt, it's john elliot. May look big but that is the intended fit. I personally like my t shirts to be pretty long and baggy.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  19. tenx82

tenx82 New Member

When compared to chucks and the like, there are several things I prefer about the adidas. No contrasting-color toe cap, smaller toe box, taller instep, and a bit of padding all add up to a much more proportionate look IMO. I think the denim look in the vulcs maybe helps a bit too not being just a solid block of color. And as a bonus, the insole is a kind of memory foam and is rather nice to stand in compared to my shox or old boots.

20. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Yo pants is too skinny and yo boots is too pointy.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016