1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Marzoni Fabric

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Audi1, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Audi1

Audi1 New Member

I am trying to locate the supplier of Marzoni suit fabric. Any insight on who or where to contact the maker/supplier?

2. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

4. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

5. JCachot

JCachot Member

I can't prove it but I believe Marzoni fabric is not really Italian. I believe
    it's Chinese. The company website has no contact information -- no address,
    no phone number. The agent for the cloth is in Hong Kong. It is my believe --
    although not yet proven -- that Marzoni is passing off product as Italian
    when it's actually made in China. Can someone disprove this?

6. Shirtmaven

though, I have no proof, the look of the website makes me think that they are a converter/fabric supplier to the trade.
    no mill. they commission other mills to produce for them. the fabric could be from anywhere.

7. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Their books are commonly seen in many Shanghai tailor shops. So you might be right.

8. hymo

hymo Senior member

Just this weekend I handled Marzoni and Carlos Barbera books. I suspect both to be Chinese.

9. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

Chinese try to pass off Chinese made goods as Foreign made all the time especially to domestic customers.. Although their textile industry is getting better and better.

10. Shirtmaven

Carlos Barbara has a mill I believe

11. ancdmd

ancdmd Active Member

I just got three Astor & Black suits with Marzoni fabrics. Thought they were Italian, hope they aren't Chinese. Either way they feel good and look good....

12. Shirtmaven

I have seen decent suiting fabrics out of China. good value for the money

13. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

if you felt good with them, and didn't pay too much for those Astor & Black suits then you should not worry if they Chinese or European fabrics. Since Astor and Black operates out of HK (their tailors) I wouldn't be surprised if they use plenty of Chinese suiting fabrics. Granted this industry is really not that high tech, and if china has the kind of quality control as euro counterparts their products should be just as good or getting better and better.
    As far as Marzoni is concerned, just by looking at the site I would say that its a foregin investor with tech background in Texiles and now manufacturing in China. There are plenty of firms that do this. I believe Corneliani now manufactures some suits in China.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  14. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

Can someone inform me the name and contact number of the agent in HK?

Many thanks
    Classic Car

15. JCachot

JCachot Member

The issue isn't about quality -- although it's unlikely the Chinese mills can match the Italians or British. The issue is whether Marzoni is being deceptive. It is duplicitous to present the cloth as Italian if it's made in China. Why can't they just tell people where they make their
    cloth? What's the problem with that? Astor & Black no longer overtly promote Marzoni as "Italian cloth" but they do not tell their customers the provenance of their product. Astor & Black want people to think that Maroni is a made-in-Italy product. This is clearly deceptive.

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Manzoni is alright, expect they are slightly above VBC but nothing more than Harrison of Edinburgh

17. JCachot

JCachot Member

How do you know? What personal experience do you have with Manzoni? Harrisons is a high quality merchant with mostly -- if not all -- British cloth.

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I own garments with the fabrics in question, all at 230 grams/meter and s120 worsted wool, I find the drape of Marzoni is in between VBC and Harrison

Thats all

19. damang28

damang28 New Member

I believe all of the Marzoni fabric is made in Italy. The fabrics are all from the mills of Italy by Luigi Botto..

20. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

I eventually found out the supplier in Hong Kong. The fabric usually only sell to tailors but not individuals. They spend a lot of money on website and catalogue books. I had a tailor make a sport jacket for me. I think they are strong in sport jacket fabric design but not much in suitings. The fabric design is attractive but not the quality. If I go for sport jacket and fashion base only, I will select Marzoni. Theri price are relatively higher than VBC and they are middle range.