• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marvel kills Captain America!

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Sorry to spoil it for anyone who hadn't finished the comic yet, but he gets shot on the courthouse steps by a snyper!

Marvel says the comic story line was intentionally written as an allegory to current real-life issues like the Patriot Act, the War on Terror and the September 11 attacks.

I guess they'll just continue it with another character taking his place? I'm kind of suprised he didn't go to Iraq and fight the insurgents, he fought the Nazis in WWII.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/book...rss_topstories

Reaction score
i have issues with captain america on the cover

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Is it the blood splatter?

CAPA025_dc.jpg

I don't get why the cuff is only on one hand.

Reaction score
i remember the tv show well
the movie, too

i liked him in marvel zombies--------i guess his murder won't affect this gig

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does Marvel hate America?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yet another sign of the impending apocalypse.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yet another sign of the impending apocalypse.
Hey kid, that's my line!
devil.gif
Get yourself something different.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
... well there is always Captain Britain.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an old adage in the comic business, regarding the deaths of characters: "No one in comics stays dead, except Bucky, Jason Todd and Uncle Ben."

(Bucky being Captain America's sidekick in WW2, Jason Todd being the second Robin, and Uncle Ben being Spider-Man's uncle.)

In 2005/6, they all came back from the dead, in one way or another.

So, in conclusion, there's no way Cap is dead. He'd have to be completely disintegrated. And even then...

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
There's an old adage in the comic business, regarding the deaths of characters: "No one in comics stays dead, except Bucky, Jason Todd and Uncle Ben."

One problem: Bucky's not dead. He was captured by the Soviets, turned into a black-ops agent, aka the Shadow Soldier, was intricately involved in the death of Wolverine's Japanese wife, and was recently running around trying to kill Logan again (See Wolverine 38-42; Wolverine: Origins 1-6).

I believe that Cap's dead. His relavance in the Marvel Universe was waning -- he was an anachronism. As a symbol of American can-do and the fight for just causes, he was the last of a breed. Nationalism in comics has been dead for a while. The allegorical resonance of killing off a WWII hero in our current political situation is astounding. Marvel doesn't hate America, it just recognizes that this is a much different America than the one Cap knew. How his death impacts the rest of the Universe will be interesting.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, he lasted a lot longer than Johnny Canuck ...
plain.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Antman & Wasp could be suspects. Its awful how Cap always steals the limelight from b-list superheroes under him.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
One problem: Bucky's not dead. He was captured by the Soviets, turned into a black-ops agent, aka the Shadow Soldier, was intricately involved in the death of Wolverine's Japanese wife, and was recently running around trying to kill Logan again (See Wolverine 38-42; Wolverine: Origins 1-6).
This is exactly the point that I am making - the character was killed off decades ago, but because the editorial pool of 2005 wanted to use him, they decided that the explosion that killed him in the 1940s, did, in fact, not kill him. And so all of a sudden he's back in the game, and they can write a spiffy new backstory for him.

And it's Winter Soldier.
devil.gif

Even IF the plan is to kill Cap for good - and it isn't, because there's a Captain America movie slated for release in 2009, for which this provides some great free publicity - the next editorial team who wants to write Captain America stories will just bring him back again.

Originally Posted by life_interrupts
The allegorical resonance of killing off a WWII hero in our current political situation is astounding
AstoundingLY GOOD FOR BOOK SALES!

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should clarify that I think it'll probably be a good storyline. But the comic book industry just thrives on this kind of thing. Remember when they killed Superman?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads