• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martinis

Stylish Guy

Reaction score
Gin or vodka in a martini, which do you prefer and why? I prefer gin. I think Gin is an acquired taste, because alot my friends will order martinis with vodka and make disgusted faces when I ask for a martini with gin.
It is old school, but I think gin is the best way to make a martini.

Savile Row

Reaction score
I used to drink gin and tonics and Tom Collins... 20+ years ago.

Now I enjoy rums and the occasional Ketel One or Grey Goose vodka martini.
Shaken until chilled, no vermouth, never dirty, and with at least 3 olives.

Salut !

Savile Row

Reaction score
That's not a martini--that's some chilled vodka with some olives.

Old sport, aren't there cartoonish smiley faces you should be using to convey facetious intent...?

Please tell me you are not one of those "a real man doesn't eat quiche" type cacklers.

Salut !

Oh, before I forget...
tounge.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's not a martini--that's some chilled vodka with some olives.

Old sport, aren't there cartoonish smiley faces you should be using to convey facetious intent...?

Please tell me you are not one of those "a real man doesn't eat quiche" type cacklers.

Salut !

Oh, before I forget... :tounge:

:slapfight:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Old sport, aren't there cartoonish smiley faces you should be using to convey facetious intent...?

Salut !

Oh, before I forget... :tounge:

WTF?

How about instead of being a pretentious douche you review the ingredients for a martini... gin/vodka and vermouth. By ordering it without vermouth you just ordered 2 shots of vodka. A cocktail has to have to ingredients. So... yeah. Not a martini is what you drink.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plymouth Martini with a twist. Stirred not shaken.

Savile Row

Reaction score
WTF?
How about instead of being a pretentious douche you review the ingredients for a martini... gin/vodka and vermouth. By ordering it without vermouth you just ordered 2 shots of vodka. A cocktail has to have to ingredients. So... yeah. Not a martini is what you drink.

Interesting... I clearly see my smiley face that implies facetious intent.
Can you not see it...?

Maybe it bears repeating, so here it is... again...
tounge.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

SD1

Reaction score
I was looking for a quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald on vodka martinis, but came across this one, which sums it up nicely:

"Vodka may make a fine cocktail, but it does not make a martini."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gin, always. Vodka is not a martini and I would even go as far to say that it is for tools that don't like the taste of real spirits. Vodka is flavorless and people who drink it have no taste and culture. Bam!

Old Raj all the way. Junipero is way too sweet if you ask me. Like candy. I always get mine extra dry and if the bar has good olives I get olives, if they have crap I get a twist.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Gin, always. Vodka is not a martini and I would even go as far to say that it is for tools that don't like the taste of real spirits. Vodka is flavorless and people who drink it have no taste and culture. Bam!

Old Raj all the way. Junipero is way too sweet if you ask me. Like candy. I always get mine extra dry and if the bar has good olives I get olives, if they have crap I get a twist.

If you watch the video I kindly linked you will see you are correct in regards to a "vodka martini." The actual name is a "kangaroo kicker" or just "kicker." Of course everywhere has a "dirty vodka martini" these days and you are likely to get your real martini "dirty" if you do not specify. While I agree with everyone above that to call two shots of vodka put into a shaker as something hard to quantify as any type of martini that is actually pretty standard fair these days. It is sort of hard to take Mr. Row to task for only having the cocktail knowledge current trends have given him. I mean, notice he feels the need to tell us, "Never dirty?" Who would think of having to specify that? Not someone that has versed themselves in classic cocktail knowledge.

So what I'm saying is do not be too hard on folks with the knowledge current trends give them but instead help them learn.

Lastly, I will admit I enjoy the occasional "vodka martini" when I want something light. I do have to specify two parts vodka, one part vermouth to all bartenders that do not know though.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you watch the video I kindly linked you will see you are correct in regards to a "vodka martini." The actual name is a "kangaroo kicker" or just "kicker." Of course everywhere has a "dirty vodka martini" these days and you are likely to get your real martini "dirty" if you do not specify. While I agree with everyone above that to call two shots of vodka put into a shaker as something hard to quantify as any type of martini that is actually pretty standard fair these days. It is sort of hard to take Mr. Row to task for only having the cocktail knowledge current trends have given him. I mean, notice he feels the need to tell us, "Never dirty?" Who would think of having to specify that? Not someone that has versed themselves in classic cocktail knowledge.
So what I'm saying is do not be too hard on folks with the knowledge current trends give them but instead help them learn.
Lastly, I will admit I enjoy the occasional "vodka martini" when I want something light. I do have to specify two parts vodka, one part vermouth to all bartenders that do not know though.

I was discussing with Harvey_Birdman recently about how in so many places you have to tell the bartender NOT to shake your martini. It seems like they want to shake everything as a default.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I was discussing with Harvey_Birdman recently about how in so many places you have to tell the bartender NOT to shake your martini. It seems like they want to shake everything as a default.

I specify exactly how I want it when I order. Harvey knows my stance on this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads