Martin Seligman's - "Learned Optimism"

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Star, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Star

Star Senior member

Was wondering if anyone has read Martin Seligman's book "Learned Optimism" and what you thought about it? Have any of his ideas have changed you and/or stuck with you particularly if you previously had previously considered yourself a pessimist.

2. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

I took Seligman's abnormal psych class at Penn. He's a very good professor - class was interesting and enjoyable.

Have not read this book, but I suspect that it must be the flip-side of his work on learned helplessness.

3. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

Haven't read that book, but I have read "Authentic Happiness" (also by Seligman, covers similar ideas) and am a positive psychology researcher. The ideas behind the book are very well-researched and actually do make a lasting, strong change in people's outlooks.

4. Star

Star Senior member

I am only 100 pages into the book as I am reading a little slower and stopping to reflect a bit more than I would typically.

I do want to be 'over cautious' in terms of what I will get out of this book and do not wish to leap to the conclusion 'that this book' has changed my life. However, I must say that having been written from a clinical researech perspective, I am finding the arguments in this book do have more substance than most of the other 'self help' [email protected] that are constructed around nothing more than 'feel good' statements written by authors/charlatans on a diet of 'Sugary Red' red liquids.

I will keep reading and may post again at some point deeper into the book to complete this thread.

Feel free to keep posting in the meantime.