• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martin Margiela sizing.

mattjames

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the tagged sizing translates to waist size? Would a 34 waist be safe with a size 50?

sam

Reaction score
Yeah, in my experience, Margiela runs true to size. Some of the stuff is meant to be worn oversized, so watch out for that (if that's not the aesthetic you're going for).

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sam
Yeah, in my experience, Margiela runs true to size. Some of the stuff is meant to be worn oversized, so watch out for that (if that's not the aesthetic you're going for).

Thanks. I have noticed that some items appear quite loose-fitting. I will steer clear of those.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are planning to buy online, be careful as I find MMM to be one of the toughest brands to buy sight unseen. A size 50 is generally close to a 34, but MMM also often likes to add little quirks here and there to the cutting that, like Miu Miu, make for surprising or unexpected results. Not just with looser cutting, as another member mentioned, but also in terms of silhouette or material.

So, just keep that in mind when you buy and make sure that they have a good returns policy, in case you think you are getting a regular pair of bootcut pants and, instead, find that they have some sort of weird twist built it (strange pockets, odd distressing, etc.)

mattjames

Reaction score
It is yoox I am browsing. I have had to return many items for the reasons you describe.
For what I am looking at, though, I think I'll be OK, just as long as they don't fit small. That's my main worry and the most frequent reason for my past returns to yoox.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
It is yoox I am browsing. I have had to return many items for the reasons you describe.
For what I am looking at, though, I think I'll be OK, just as long as they don't fit small. That's my main worry and the most frequent reason for my past returns to yoox.

If you are ordering from yoox, then you'll be okay. MMM generally doesn't run small, but given that many of their items are made in small quantities, sometimes from artisinal materials, there is a chance you'll get something in an odd size.

But, even then, I don't think it would be extreme (nothing like the size 52 Balenciaga pants that I bought there once that were about a 29 waist). Probably 32-33 would be the smallest I think a 50 would be.

And, like you said, you can always return them. All in all, MMM does some really nice stuff and I quite like many of their pants.

mattjames

Reaction score
I only wish that yoox would do a better job of describing their items. It's like they have a small set of generic descriptions to choose from and they rarely do justice if an item has an unusual detail of some sort. They're getting a bit better at photographing such details, but they need to improve there, too.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
I only wish that yoox would do a better job of describing their items. It's like they have a small set of generic descriptions to choose from and they rarely do justice if an item has an unusual detail of some sort. They're getting a bit better at photographing such details, but they need to improve there, too.

You're right about that. Listing measurements for items would help, too. Certainly that would require more time in listing items (and would require perhaps more personnel), but it would also cut down on the number of returns they get and, hence increase their revenue. Given the people I've talked to and my own rate of returns, I'd say that they certainly have a much higher rate than most online retailers (probably at least a third of my items are returned). Of those, perhaps only one or two were because the item was defective; the other 10-15 times were because of sizing issues, incorrect descriptions, etc.
Better descriptions, pics, and measurements would help immensely. Without them, it's almost like buying something just to try it on.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind though is that a lot of MM dress pants do fit about 1" larger than tagged size would indicate.

soultek

Reaction score
I bought a size 50 pair of MM trousers from last season and it fit my 34" waist well.

mattjames

Reaction score
Thanks you guys.

rach2jlc, I agree. I have spent a lot of money at yoox over the past year, but I have returned almost half of my purchases. If the items had been properly described and the actual measurements listed, I would have probably made about 90% of the same purchases and kept them all, because sizing is the main issue and my size is often gone by the time I realise I've bought the wrong one. I also dare say that I would have bought more items because there is often something really nice that is listed as a size that I normally wouldn't expect to fit me, but the actual size could be right.

I really think a bit more effort in measurements and descriptions would be good for business.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Martin Margiela Line 10 trousers that looked nice on the mannikin but when I received them, they were rather baggy. Their sizing, however, is somewhat true, if not slightly larger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads