• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Have a happy holiday weekend. Who has this monday off? I do. Im going to see my mom.
cheers.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I were in the States; I'd mos def hit up the local Popeyes, eat some watermelon, and wash everything down with some type of grape-flavoured beverage.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
If I were in the States; I'd mos def hit up the local Popeyes, eat some watermelon, and wash everything down with some type of grape-flavoured beverage.

thats racist.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mom is coming to town, and we'll be spending some time with her side of the family. I have Monday off work, which is nice because January through April is my busiest time of year at work. The long weekend is sort of my last hurrah before things get a little crazy.
Originally Posted by West24
im going to kfc.
facepalm.gif
Seriously? What the hell is wrong with you two?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when MLKJ holiday was first proposed ("86?) and it was still in-progress being accepted by only some states. We gave our employees the day off and closed the office for the day. We got a lot of **** from people all over the country. Stupid comments like "A holiday for a ****?", real nasty bigotry. That lasted about 2-3 years.

Things have come a long way in 25 years.

By the way, if you happen to be in Atlanta. Do your self a favor and visit the MLKJ memorial. It is very moving and an in-your-face reminder of just how backward and racist our society was in his time.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I wish more whites, especially Southern whites, would appreciate MLK. I've met a lot of racists and I've only met one that would honestly like to live in a segregated society. He led a movement that really cleaned up this country and made everyone's lives better. And for Christians, there are few better examples of Christian matrydom in the 20th Century than MLK. He was a great, courageous man.

He's got a lot of great quotes (hard to believe he evidently plagiarized in college, because his speeches in adulthood were amazing), but these are my favs:

• "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
  • "Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will."
  • "A man can't ride your back unless it's bent."
  • "I want to be the white man's brother, not his brother-in-law."
  • "It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."
  • "If physical death is the price that I must pay to free my white brothers and sisters from a permanent death of the spirit, then nothing can be more redemptive."
  • "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • "I owe it to my oppressor to stand up and take the whip out of his hand because if I keep him from beating me, maybe he can get to the Promised Land too."
  • "Science investigates, religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power, religion gives man wisdom which is control."

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I wish more whites, especially Southern whites, would appreciate MLK. I've met a lot of racists and I've only met one that would honestly like to live in a segregated society. He led a movement that really cleaned up this country and made everyone's lives better. And for Christians, there are few better examples of Christian matrydom in the 20th Century than MLK. He was a great, courageous man.

He's got a lot of great quotes (hard to believe he evidently plagiarized in college, because his speeches in adulthood were amazing), but these are my favs:

• "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
  • "Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will."
  • "A man can't ride your back unless it's bent."
  • "I want to be the white man's brother, not his brother-in-law."
  • "It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."
  • "If physical death is the price that I must pay to free my white brothers and sisters from a permanent death of the spirit, then nothing can be more redemptive."
  • "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • "I owe it to my oppressor to stand up and take the whip out of his hand because if I keep him from beating me, maybe he can get to the Promised Land too."
  • "Science investigates, religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power, religion gives man wisdom which is control."
Good post. MLK's letter from Birmingham jail is one of my favorites. He was a principled individual who displayed enormous courage during a very difficult period in our history.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 FLMountainMan's post.
Originally Posted by olstudios
I have monday off, but start school the next day.
Same here...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do. I have company coming in from out of town.

Now with spelling like that you wouldn't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads