• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martin Greenfield in San Francisco

DandySF

Reaction score
I walked by Brooks Brothers' windows last night and saw a sign in the window announcing their MTM event. I went in and talked with a knowledgeable salesperson, who's been their since the 80s, and he said that Martin Greenfield would be taking the measurements. I looked through some fabric sample books and was told that a cashmere sport coat would cost about $2000. Evidently Martin is very charming and makes the experience pleasurable and fun. Details if you're interested:

150 Post Street
November 3-4

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Martin Greenfield is one of the great and charming gentlemen of the business.

He is a Holocaust survivor, and he has a zest and lust for life. He loves all of his customers from Colin Powell and Tom Clancy to the first-time MTM customer.

If he fits you, the garment will fit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Didn't he used to make suits for Clinton?
Sort of. If I recall correctly, Clinton likes Donna Karran MTM suits, which are in fact made in Greenfield's factory in Brooklyn.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Your knowledge never fails to amaze me, Manton.....
Thanks.  It is common knowledge that Clinton likes Karran's clothes, and that she was (is) a friend of the Clintons and a frequent invitee to White House social functions.  People in the business told me that Greenfield himself would fly to Washington to do the fittings for Clinton's clothes.  If I had the President for a client, I would too.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seemed to notice that Clinton dressed notably better in his 2nd term.

koji

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I seemed to notice that Clinton dressed notably better in his 2nd term.
I have a theory about that which is detailed at length in Chapter 19 of my book.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Martin bills himself as "suitmaker to presidents." As far as I am concerned, he is the first gentleman and maestro of the tailored clothing business.

When he came over to USA from Europe and started out at GGG he served President Eisenhower. Eventually, he bought the company and changed the name to Martin Greenfield Clothiers.

His factory in Brooklyn is one of the few mens clothing factories left in NYC. I believe that it is the largest, and the remaining handful are more like workshops than factories.

I believe that he has personally served a number of presidents including Clinton. He was supposed to fit President Bush, but he broke his ankle on one of Bush's last visits.

The Clinton connection began at Brooks Brothers when Clinton was going to order tails for his first inaugural. The Washington Brooks store called in Mr. Greenfield. (He makes Brooks's top of the line suits, Golden Fleece, as well as its top of the line MTM.) Mr. Greenfield made some of Clinton's suits during his presidency.

BTW, Greenfield ceased making the Donna Karan suits a few years ago. I believe that the Karan suit is now made in Italy. I believe that one factor was that due to US tariffs, it costs less to import a finished suit from Italy than to import the cloth into the USA and to make it here.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind about Greenfield - the suits he makes for Brooks Brother's, and made for Neiman Marcus' "Marcus" line and Donna Karan's Couture line seem to be his entry level suit. He is capable of making a very very fine suit, comparable to Oxxford IMO, and he seems to be able to create a much wider range of silhouettes than Oxxford does. As such, he is a favorite producer of American designers looking to introduce a handmade suit line.

matcha

Reaction score
I didn't know he made Golden Fleece. When Neiman's had the Marcus line the salesman used to tell me that Greenfield made those.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
At Brooks Bros., 346 Madison Ave., they make no secret that Martin makes the Golden Fleece and MTM suits. In fact, Brooks advertises this in its MTM trunk show ads and mailings. Also, Jay Walter, the chief MTM salesman talks to Martin at least once a day. Martin also makes for many custom shops that hide the Greenfield connection. Many of these shops seek to give the impression that they make everything in-house and have a squandron of little elves upstairs that make your suit.
devil.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Many of these shops seek to give the impression that they make everything in-house and have a squandron of little elves upstairs that make your suit.
devil.gif
Yes, and it is silly and annoying when they try to snow knowledgable customers. What with DNR, and these forums, and word of mouth, we are always going to find out the truth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads